Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found Siamese cat

Options
  • 20-11-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. A little help/advice please. I found a Siamese under my car being stalked by the neighbourhood 4 legged bullies. I have taken her to my vet to check for a microchip which she did not have. Neither is she neutered. She also has plenty of ear mites which made the vet reckon she has not been taken care of properly. I have trawled the local shelters & the ISPCA with no signs of any Siamese listed as missing. I would love to keep her but have zero knowledge/experience with this breed. Plus I have 5 cats & 1 dog of my own so I feel it would be unfair on her to be thrown in with my motley crew. She has come around somewhat with my 5 & gets on well with the dog. I would love to rehome her but am wary of giving her to unscrupulous people. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Hi Sheela. Nice that you care so much about the little cat! I have a lot of experience with siamese, and it is good to be cautious... many people are interested in the idea of them, but can't handle the actual reality of their temperament and the unique care that they need. Perhaps this why the poor little thing hasn't been so well taken care of (assuming that is the case).

Just to clarify, are you wanting to keep her yourself with more advice/info, or are you planning to rehome and want advice on this part?

If you're definitely wanting to rehome, my advice would be to contact SABCCI (Siamese and all Breeds Cat Club Ireland) and ask if they either have any info on the best recommended rescue who would take her, or anyone who might like to rehome directly.

http://www.sabcci.com/

Also, where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Saw an ad for one that went missing a good while ago, PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sheela, where are you, roughly?

If you don't find her home, or end up keeping her yourself, I'd take her (references from my vet available), and will have her spayed and chipped of course.

We had beloved Siameses when I was a teenager, and I've homed and kept and loved a Burmese cat as well as many moggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Sheila,
    I can out you in touch with rescues who will help with re homing and home checks etc.don't attempt to re-home yourself.
    certainly not a siamese female which isn't neutered. Thats a disaster waiting to happen.Pm me if you need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sheelashanker

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for for all your advice. Bounty hunter, thanks for directing me towards SABBCI. They seem like the best ones to go to. Although I have grown fond of her, I still think she should go to someone with better experience with her breed than I. Mrs. Doubtfire, if I have little luck with SABBCI, I would like to check back with you, if that's ok.

I will keep ye posted. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Could I ask a question? I'm a little curious about why you didn't take up my offer to give a loving home to this puss. Normally people would be fighting to place an animal with me! (My very elderly dog came to me 16 years ago, and when she arrived as a pup, the person who found her for me said that all his friends were saying hopefully "I can bark! I can wag my tail too!")

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Chuchote wrote: »
    Could I ask a question? I'm a little curious about why you didn't take up my offer to give a loving home to this puss. Normally people would be fighting to place an animal with me! (My very elderly dog came to me 16 years ago, and when she arrived as a pup, the person who found her for me said that all his friends were saying hopefully "I can bark! I can wag my tail too!")

I'd imagine it's because not everyone on the internet is as well meaning as they may sometimes sound (not saying you aren't of course! but there are plenty of people out there who see a pedigree and euro signs). I certainly wouldn't rehome an animal to a stranger through the internet when the option of going through the SABBCI or a rescue is there to ensure the cat goes to the right home. I've rescued a few pedigree cats throughout the years and like Mrs Doubtfire says, rehoming an unspayed/unneutered pedigree can be extremely risky, and even rehoming a neutered pedigree is a minefield as you usually get a long list of people offering to rehome them, some of whom are not looking out for the cat's welfare but rather because it's a pedigree so 'surely worth something' (again, not saying this is the case with you, but I know I would be far more comfortable going through the proper channels).
    You could always get in contact with the SABBCI, or if a rescue the OP goes with, to register your interest in rehoming her

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi folks,
    I don't think it's appropriate to have a personal conversation on-thread about what the OP decided to do with the cat. Chuchote, whilst I understand your disappointment, would you mind taking your enquiry to PM please? :)
    Thanks,
    DBB

Not disappointed, just curious as to why someone offering a vet reference would be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mary GM

Hi Sheela. Not sure where you are located, but I remember seeing an add from <snip> about Siamese cat for adoption some time ago, so I suppose they could help you finding a suitable home for the cat you found as well. You probably will have several people contacting you to adopt the cat as kittens are sold for around 350 euro, and while loads of people are enticed to have a Siamese cat, not everybody might understand how challenging this breed can be. Having grown up with Siamese cats and adopted a female 3 years ago which I love to bits, I must admit they are hard work, not the average cat. It is sad, but I think that this cat might have been abandoned, otherwise you would have seen some active add in some website which helps people to find lost pets. I hope you can find a suitable home for her, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Chuchote wrote: »
    Not disappointed, just curious as to why someone offering a vet reference would be ignored.

Vets very rarely see anything about the pet at home and how it is being treated apart from the odd time they come in for a check-up. There are also many vets who are purely in it for the money and wouldn't care what "reference" they were giving.

I was recently at the vets with Opie and they couldn't and wouldn't believe me when I told them the state of him mentally when I took him as the person I adopted him off was always in the vets and got him all his shots as a puppy. :rolleyes:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Vets very rarely see anything about the pet at home and how it is being treated apart from the odd time they come in for a check-up. There are also many vets who are purely in it for the money and wouldn't care what "reference" they were giving.

I was recently at the vets with Opie and they couldn't and wouldn't believe me when I told them the state of him mentally when I took him as the person I adopted him off was always in the vets and got him all his shots as a puppy. :rolleyes:

Hah! I've been with the same vet for 30 years. My dog is sixteen and on monthly anabolic steroid injections, so the vet sees plenty of me! And he's seen me through cats, dogs, hens over the years…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ok folks,
    That's enough. Thread is gone off topic.
    Op, if you want it reopened at any stage, please pm one of the mod team.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement