Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to manage money in SE Asia?

Options
  • 20-11-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Me and my SO are going to be heading to SE Asia for at least 6 months in January and we haven't a clue what the best way to manage our money would be without getting seriously fecked with atm and bank fees.

I can only find info from 5+ years ago and thats probably not reliable for 2017. We are with AIB but we would definitely change bank if it meant cheaper fees. Obviously taking cash and changing it over there would be the cheapest but there's no way we're gunna be carrying 2+ years worth of savings on us backpacking!

Any information about credit cards, prepaid cards, debit cards, travellers cheques etc would be awesome.

Thanks bunches!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Check Revolut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elsteve420

Ok, Revolut is kinda the perfect thing. Amazing. I bet the banks are fuming haha! Will it work in most ATMs though? Or will I have to scour each new place I'm in for one that'll accept Revolut?

Also if you lose your card while abroad will they send a new one to whatever place your in?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

elsteve420 wrote: »
    Ok, Revolut is kinda the perfect thing. Amazing. I bet the banks are fuming haha! Will it work in most ATMs though? Or will I have to scour each new place I'm in for one that'll accept Revolut?

Also if you lose your card while abroad will they send a new one to whatever place your in?

Yes its Mastercard so everywhere.

No it would have to go the accounts address. So someone would have to send to you.

The trick is to not lose stuff.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

listermint wrote: »
    No it would have to go the accounts address. So someone would have to send to you.

The trick is to not lose stuff.......

Yes they will send it to you abroad. They will send it standard post or courier.

Express delivery times:
    UK: Up to two (£10) or nine (£6) business days.
    Europe: Up to two (€20) or nine (€7) business days.
    The United States or Canada: Up to two business days (€30).
    Elsewhere: Up to three business days (€30).

You can also order a spare card. It won't work until you link it to your account. So if you lose your main card or it is stolen, you can link your spare card on the app and start using that one.

• Advertisement

Excellent! Thanks, everyone, for your replies, this is a massive amount of stress relieved. We will probably use this along with a debit card with backup money and a credit card for emergencies.

Can you link one account to two phones or will we need an account each?

Are there any cons to using Revolut? Has anyone had any bad experiences with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

elsteve420 wrote:

One account per phone so you will have 2 revolut accounts and cards. You can link both revolut accounts to the same bank account and debit card though

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Excellent! Thanks, everyone, for your replies, this is a massive amount of stress relieved. We will probably use this along with a debit card with backup money and a credit card for emergencies.

Are there any cons to using Revolut? Has anyone had any bad experiences with it?

Yeah,use your debit card as back up.I did this last year in SE asia.The revolut is the way to go.Bear in mind though it is €5 withdrawl fee in Thailand and slightly less in Vietnam and Cambodia.
    I used keep about €500 in the revolut account just in case it was ever lost.

The only downside I found was when I was booking my flights home Ethopian airlines would not take revolut mastercard for some reason.I had to use my debit card for that.Other than that its very good.

If I was going again I'd bring cash in euros and dollars.Those €5 withdrawl fees will soon add up..!

By the EUR 5 withdrawal fee do you mean the local ATM charges? I've heard if you just queue up at the bank and withdraw it that way you can skip the local ATM charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

By the EUR 5 withdrawal fee do you mean the local ATM charges? I've heard if you just queue up at the bank and withdraw it that way you can skip the local ATM charges.

Sorry yes I meant ATM charges.I dont know about skipping the fees in the bank itself.Cant help you there I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement