Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to decide where to live

Options
  • 20-11-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Please move mods if in the wrong thread.

So myself and OH are going out over a year and last night we got chatting about the future and turns out neither of us want to leave 'home'

Both of us will be left farms which are relatively same size and land quality. Granted he puts in alot more time and money into his farm while my dad is still farming full time at mine

We both obviously have friend, family sports teams etc in our home times that we want to stay with.

Both towns are about 45mins away from each other and our place of work are in opposite directions.

So although we're are not moving in together just yet it will be a serious conversation and difficult decision down the line. But after all that what I'm wondering is how did you and your OH decide where to live? Was it a difficult decision? If one partner had to leave old life behind did they find it hard? What compromises did ye do? Etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

First thing is to forget about your family farms. Ok you'll be left then eventually but they're not relevant now and using them to decide your future is silly as your parents both could live another 30-40 years.

Base your decisions on what your doing now not the distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

If leaving your locality is a deal breaker just get a new boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Only you two can decide where you be happiest to live OP, Its different strokes and expectations from everyone else.

Can ya not build a tunnel from his land to yours and meet in the middle like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Please move mods if in the wrong thread.

So myself and OH are going out over a year and last night we got chatting about the future and turns out neither of us want to leave 'home'

Both of us will be left farms which are relatively same size and land quality. Granted he puts in alot more time and money into his farm while my dad is still farming full time at mine

We both obviously have friend, family sports teams etc in our home times that we want to stay with.

Both towns are about 45mins away from each other and our place of work are in opposite directions.

So although we're are not moving in together just yet it will be a serious conversation and difficult decision down the line. But after all that what I'm wondering is how did you and your OH decide where to live? Was it a difficult decision? If one partner had to leave old life behind did they find it hard? What compromises did ye do? Etc.

If you're both from small country towns then the obvious traditional choice would be Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

Ok so I realise it comes across as me looking for an answer to our situation but I'm not really. I know that when the time comes we will figure it out but our situation and chat just got me wondering how did other couples make the decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Has the idea that right in the middle would only be 20-25mins away from where ye both want to be not come up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

They are 45 minutes away from each other, that's not a very large distance. I guess there are a few different factors. Cost of houses (which is probably the same), amenities, which is the better area. If ye have kids would one family be more likely to babysit. But that will probably be a few years away. :)

I don't know really. I left my hometown because there are not really any well paid jobs that I could have got, so I moved to where himself is from and it works out fine. I would love the have to choice to stay in my hometown but there are not many jobs so I've accepted I'll probably stay here.

Ok so I realise it comes across as me looking for an answer to our situation but I'm not really. I know that when the time comes we will figure it out but our situation and chat just got me wondering how did other couples make the decision?

In all seriousness, from my experience, it's usually the lad that moves to the area that the lady is originally from .......... I don't know why that is though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

MadDog76 wrote: »
    If you're both from small country towns then the obvious traditional choice would be Dublin.

There are other places in Ireland you know! Why would both of them quit their jobs and move to Dublin just because they cant figure out whose area to live nearer to??

There are other places in Ireland you know! Why would both of them quit their jobs and move to Dublin just because they cant figure out whose area to live nearer to??

Really??? :eek:

I think my post was lost on you ........... has humour arrived in Roscommon yet? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Lucan or Adamstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Mr.S wrote: »
    Realistically, if it's a choice between the two, you should move into the boyfriends as he actually works / puts mine into the farm.

Yeap that would have been my opinion too. At the end of the day 20 odd minutes to either isnt extreme, but if you have accommodation at either location or perhaps might use some of the farm land for a site you have to be going with the farm thats worked on and invested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just don't get nostalgic about a piece of dirt. Work out which one is more financially viable. If you're planning on popping out sprogs at some stage work out which place has the best services for them and sell the one that doesn't meet requirements, farm, not sprog.. Or sell both of them and buy a nicer piece of dirt in a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you heard of Cork?

Yes? - Move to Cork
    No? - Move to Cork

It's just like Dublin except better in every single way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have you heard of Cork?

Yes? - Move to Cork
    No? - Move to Cork

Perhaps they might not want to learn a new language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

What county or area are you in now OP ?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Have you heard of Cork?

Yes? - Move to Cork
    No? - Move to Cork

It's just like Dublin except better in every single way.

Cork is to Dublin what Lidl is to Marks&Spencers .............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Marks & Spencer's is a dying brand, about to close 30 of it's UK stores...Lidl on the other hand is far more successful...over 10,000 stores in 28 European countries and getting ready to expand into north America at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

So I'm from offaly working in cork. He's from laois but sales rep covering south east leinster...hence the predicament...I'm changing jobs in new year and will be based in Dublin or Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Galway gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Which has the nicer neighbours, the nicest scenery, the most convenient for going shopping, going out? All that apart from your jobs.

Then you have the farms and you could just lease them out and get the money tax free, when the time comes
    I presume as well as the farms, you might have a house each so you could rent out one of them in the future if that is the case.

You both also have land if you wanted to or needed to build a new house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What are rents like in Galway? Surely can't be worse than Dublin which is an utter basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd class Marks and sparks as an overrated supermarket selling the usual supermarket crap just in fancier packages.

So, are you saying Dubs are just more mucksavages in fancier clothes.

zetalambda wrote: »
    Marks & Spencer's is a dying brand, about to close 30 of it's UK stores...Lidl on the other hand is far more successful...over 10,000 stores in 28 European countries and getting ready to expand into north America at the moment :)
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd class Marks and sparks as an overrated supermarket selling the usual supermarket crap just in fancier packages.

Cork Lidl is grand .......... but we all know that Dublin Marks&Spencers is just better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

zetalambda wrote: »
    ScumLord wrote: »

Cork Lidl is grand .......... but we all know that Dublin Marks&Spencers is just better. :)
    sweeaaah1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Really??? :eek:

I think my post was lost on you ........... has humour arrived in Roscommon yet? :rolleyes:

Nah I'm just a bit thick :)

Nah I'm just a bit thick :)

No comment! :P

Advertisement