Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mansion House

Options
  • 20-11-2016 9:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

Is the Mansion House pub in Waterford re-opening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is the Mansion House pub in Waterford re-opening?

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Any idea when?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

So is the Showboat apparently, some Chinese fella has bought the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Haven't seen any sign of work going on in the Showboat lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

won't be any work going on in the showboat for another while yet. The mansion they'd hope to open before Christmas as a bar/restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    So is the Showboat apparently, some Chinese fella has bought the two.

And Katie's (Halfway House) along with the Grand Hotel in Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good to see the Mansion opening up again 2morrow. Nice pub for a match

2016 has seen the Closure of Bolgers (up on military road) and Can Shop (Mordants on Mayors Walk). 2 iconic waterford pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

PTH2009 wrote: »

2016 has seen the Closure of Bolgers (up on military road) and Can Shop (Mordants on Mayors Walk). 2 iconic waterford pubs

Mordants may have been a nice pub back in the 80s and early 90s but of late there was a very rough element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I always thought Bolger's would have had a steady trade? Would ya reckon it could do alright business if someone took it over or is it just to quiet up that end of town for a pub nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Iconic! Never been in any, don't know what bolgers was like but everyone I have ever met who has been in mordaunts said it was a kip.also, who wants to drink cans when out for a drink.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Iconic! Never been in any, don't know what bolgers was like but everyone I have ever met who has been in mordaunts said it was a kip.also, who wants to drink cans when out for a drink.

I live across the road from mordaunts and have my fare share of stories from down the years

Let's just say it would not of been winning any apperence awards but it was a good place and the regulars seemed to love it there

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

debok wrote: »
    I always thought Bolger's would have had a steady trade? Would ya reckon it could do alright business if someone took it over or is it just to quiet up that end of town for a pub nowadays?

I know the closure of Bolgers wasnt to do with it being the lack of profits or going bad.

The lads took it over just didnt have time as the pub wasn't his mainjob, and the other guy who was in the pub trade, ended up getting a better job....so when lease was up, he didnt think he would have time or be worth taking it on again

With the right person taking it on, there is definitely a good pub there.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

savic04 wrote: »
    I know the closure of Bolgers wasnt to do with it being the lack of profits or going bad.

The lads took it over just didnt have time as the pub wasn't his mainjob, and the other guy who was in the pub trade, ended up getting a better job....so when lease was up, he didnt think he would have time or be worth taking it on again

With the right person taking it on, there is definitely a good pub there.

14,000 a year including rates means a lot of pints to be sold for a small pub to make a wage - was closed 3 days a week and teatime opening Thursday and Friday only for a few months before it shut. Maybe a full timer might make a bob out of it but the longer it stays shut harder it will be to build it up again. Relied a lot on old trade and many have passed on now. Pity as it was a notable landmark in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anyone in The Mansion House over the weekend? Much changes done to the place inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i wonder will the snooker tables be still there when the showboat reopens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

iseegirls wrote: »
    Anyone in The Mansion House over the weekend? Much changes done to the place inside?

Not a huge amount. Paint job and new wall paper in places. Layout is much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭dzilla

Any nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Mordants may have been a nice pub back in the 80s and early 90s but of late there was a very rough element.

As with a lot of pubs on Ballybricken unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 annieobee

Went to mansion on Sunday night no music it finished at 8/30 about 6 barman working about 12 customers not like the old days

annieobee wrote: »
    Went to mansion on Sunday night no music it finished at 8/30 about 6 barman working about 12 customers not like the old days

A lot of the regulars who would of drank there before they closed moved too other pubs such as the Woodman and Garvey's

Sunday nights are generally quite in Waterford unless it's a bank holiday or match day etc

Didn't get a chance to go into the mansion yet since it reopened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Sheila76

People in Waterford are so begrudging its crazy, i have never seen anything like it in my life! Always SOMETHING to give out about. I work quite close to the Mansion and popped in for lunch on Saturday. It was delicious, great value lots to chooses from. It wasn't overly busy but give it a chance!! The interior is lovely very cosy. I thought it was fab. And hey its something opening in Waterford so how bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Sheila76 wrote: »
    People in Waterford are so begrudging its crazy, i have never seen anything like it in my life! Always SOMETHING to give out about. I work quite close to the Mansion and popped in for lunch on Saturday. It was delicious, great value lots to chooses from. It wasn't overly busy but give it a chance!! The interior is lovely very cosy. I thought it was fab. And hey its something opening in Waterford so how bad!!!

It's an Irish thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sheila76

I see it mostly in Waterford! They are never happy. Mental!

Advertisement