Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical advice on carers/medical issues.

Options
  • 19-11-2016 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm not looking for any diagnosis or anything, just practical advice on what to do and who to speak to, if anyone has experience of this.

A family member has had a medical problem happen twice in the past few days. The medical problem can have very severe consequences and it is very important to get the person to hospital immediately upon seeing the symptoms if it happens again - which it may well do.

The person is in hospital currently, but at some stage will be coming home, and as the doctors have yet to find the cause of the problem, they have said that the family member cannot be left alone under any circumstances.

Unfortunately, the family members are all in work or education full time.

So I guess that means asking for help with getting a carer. Does anyone know how this works? Do we ask to speak to the hospital's social worker?

And realistically, they're not gonna provide care for 8-10 hours a day, five days a week, are they?

I'm very unsure of what to do and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the correct way to go about getting the necessary help for the person, and what to expect from whoever we need to ask for the provisions?

The whole "needing someone around 24 hours" thing was only told to us a few hours ago so I'm still a bit frazzled, so my apologies for anything I may have missed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

You will need to organise someone to do it yourselves, either a family member or pay for a professional- nurse or professional carer. The hse aren't going to offer you anything.

If someone in the family takes on the role they can apply for carers allowance or benefit.

Edit-if you want to pay a professional the best thing to do would be to ask a nurse to recommend an agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You will need to organise someone to do it yourselves, either a family member or pay for a professional- nurse or professional carer. The hse aren't going to offer you anything.

If someone in the family takes on the role they can apply for carers allowance or benefit.

Edit-if you want to pay a professional the best thing to do would be to ask a nurse to recommend an agency.

Thank you. I was reading about a home care package provided by the HSE which seems to cover some of the person's needs, which seems to be free or means tested or something. So I'm not sure if the HSE would provide it as the person isn't elderly, but is disabled (already was before this problem).

I'll ask for recommendations from nurses too, but finances could be an issue, so I'll look into health insurance and what it covers, too.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thank you. I was reading about a home care package provided by the HSE which seems to cover some of the person's needs, which seems to be free or means tested or something. So I'm not sure if the HSE would provide it as the person isn't elderly, but is disabled (already was before this problem).

I'll ask for recommendations from nurses too, but finances could be an issue, so I'll look into health insurance and what it covers, too.

Thanks.

Oh I see, well I hope they do give you something. The advice I can give you as a person who has cared for a sick child for years is be very pushy about what they need even when you feel like you're getting nowhere. It's hard to be that person but someone has to stand up for them.
    Best of luck.

There's a carers forum too btw.

Oh I see, well I hope they do give you something. The advice I can give you as a person who has cared for a sick child for years is be very pushy about what they need even when you feel like you're getting nowhere. It's hard to be that person but someone has to stand up for them.
    Best of luck.

There's a carers forum too btw.

Despite all of my years on boards, I didn't know about that forum :o :pac: thanks! I'll have a look at it.

Well prepared for a fight if it's necessary! Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's a horrific thing to say but if anyone in the family does anything remotely helpful for the person who's ill, they'll screw you :( Your family will need to keep firmly to the line that there is nobody at all who can help. What can also help is if you the public health nurse on your side. Some of them are absolutely brilliant. It's pot luck though who you have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

You need to speak to the hospital's medical social worker; each ward has one and they organise/apply for homeware packages etc before discharge.

Thank you for the responses, everyone.

I guess it seems we have to make it very very clear that there is absolutely no chance of someone being around during business hours to help, and fight fight fight for some help.

Thanks again for all of the advice. We're prepared for a fight now and know what to do. :)

Mods can lock this. Thanks very much guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Have you looked at your insurance policy? Some of them offer convalescent care for two weeks after discharge from hospital. It's not much, but might get you over the hump of the first few weeks.

neemish wrote: »
    Have you looked at your insurance policy? Some of them offer convalescent care for two weeks after discharge from hospital. It's not much, but might get you over the hump of the first few weeks.

I'm trying to find her policy documents at the moment to look into what's covered. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have heard of situations like this where the family actually refuse to bring someone home if the patient will not have the care they need. This might put a push on them giving the lady a carer. I know it's not ideal but if the patient would be at risk 8-10 hours a day there is little choice.

Could you look at getting a personal alarm hooked up to the ambulance service?

• Advertisement
Advertisement