Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion Detection and Lighting

Options
  • 19-11-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Okay so I get the basics with a motion sensor and lighting i.e.

If motion detected turn on light, if no motion detected after xx mins turn off light...

Is that the primary use?

Once in a room and the scene was triggered to turn on the light all other light control becomes app or voice managed, right?

Am I missing other scenarios/scenes?

Interested to see other creative ways motion and lighting is being used.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well there's presence, absence control.

Also some controllers set different times depending where you are picked up on the footprint of the detector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Okay so I get the basics with a motion sensor and lighting i.e.

If motion detected turn on light, if no motion detected after xx mins turn off light...

Is that the primary use?

Once in a room and the scene was triggered to turn on the light all other light control becomes app or voice managed, right?

Am I missing other scenarios/scenes?

Interested to see other creative ways motion and lighting is being used.

It's a good question.
    I've found the hue motion sensor a little lacking in that regard. It works perfectly and I get a fair bit more than the advertised range from them.
    However I've found that while you can play with the dimmer switch and app after the motion sensor has triggered the light, the light will still go off according to the sensors schedule.
    You can only set the max time after it stops seeing motion to one hour.

That said I've been so impressed with the one I have I've ordered two more.
    Love the light firing and switching off after I'm done. Mid brightness in early evening. Dim redish light at night.

As regards clever use of them I am in a position to exploit them alright. They sense motion, light level and temperature and I'm pulling that out of the one I have into a Home Assistant install. From there I can trigger actions based on levels meeting conditions I set. So I can get other stuff that I've integrated into HA to do things.

By my use of the words 'stuff' and 'things' above you can probably guess I actually don't have a use case at the moment.

We have a baby on the way though. So I suppose I could have a ruleset in place that brings the smart kettle to 45C if the motion sensor in the kitchen fires and it's after 1am.
    I'm sure I'll come up with something once daddyhood strikes.

Suggestions welcome. But that said. Even if the sensors did nothing other than turn on lights to different levels according to ambient brightness I'd still consider them worth it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Roen wrote: »
    We have a baby on the way though. So I suppose I could have a ruleset in place that brings the smart kettle to 45C if the motion sensor in the kitchen fires and it's after 1am.
    I'm sure I'll come up with something once daddyhood strikes.

Suggestions welcome. But that said. Even if the sensors did nothing other than turn on lights to different levels according to ambient brightness I'd still consider them worth it.

Put a motion sensor and a Hue light or lamp in the babies room and have the light come on dim reddish colour when it detects movement.

Trust me you are going to be running into the babies room all the time! It has been found that red light is almost as good as darkness in terms of not disturbing sleep, yet it will give you enough light to walk into the room without walking bare foot on all the toys left on the ground!!!!

We use a Hue lamp to do this (without the sensor) and we have found it to be absolutely priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

bk wrote: »
    Put a motion sensor and a Hue light or lamp in the babies room and have the light come on dim reddish colour when it detects movement.

Trust me you are going to be running into the babies room all the time! It has been found that red light is almost as good as darkness in terms of not disturbing sleep, yet it will give you enough light to walk into the room without walking bare foot on all the toys left on the ground!!!!

We use a Hue lamp to do this (without the sensor) and we have found it to be absolutely priceless.

That's exactly what I am getting this stuff for :)
    Although I am getting light strips and other stuff just for the fun/laziness factor.

Red light doesn't wreck your night vision the same way as blue/white light does and doesn't cut the eyes out of your head. One of my old head torches came with a red filter for night navigation.
    Had a Hue Go on order but cancelled. Will get one eventually though.

Advertisement