Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer programs from one hard disk to another

Options
  • 19-11-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

My hard disk (local disk c) has only 18 gb left from 250gb. Whereas my SSD (local disk d) has 402gb free, how to i transfer programs etc. from one to the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to reinstall windows onto the SSD, you're wasting its performance entirely now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Reinstalling the program is the only way I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I absolutely agree with Ed that you really want your windows installation on the SSD and you are just going to start complicating things otherwise (and waste performance) but you can move things to another drive and instruct windows to "jump" from the old location to the new one using a link if you feel stuck. There are a bunch of tools out there to help you do that or you can do it manually with the mklink command (since Vista). I'm not a windows person so I won't attempt to guide you or suggest any tools beyond that but just wanted to point out that there are options out there and it's easy to find them with your favourite search engine.

Presuming you have a backup (and if not why not) AND you haven't installed programs on to your ssd (if you have then you have a bit of a mess), you could also clone your hard disk to your ssd (wiping everything on your ssd drive now) rather then re-installing windows, then expand (or repartition) the ssd and finally put everything back onto the ssd from your backup. Presuming you started with the hard disk and then added the ssd then I'm afraid you missed your chance to do the easy right thing when you added the ssd :(

Of course if you just have a bunch of videos/pictures/documents or other normal files on your C drive you can just cut and paste them onto the D drive to free up space but again you really are wasting that SSD if you don't have your windows install on there.

Advertisement