Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Inter Clubs XC

Options
  • 19-11-2016 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

It is now just over 2 weeks to the main event on the Senior/Junior XC calander. Who will feature, who will make the top 6 in each race, the course is definitely a tester from the athletes that ran the Autumn XC. Who will take the coveted twam titles.Your view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It is now just over 2 weeks to the main event on the Senior/Junior XC calander. Who will feature, who will make the top 6 in each race, the course is definitely a tester from the athletes that ran the Autumn XC. Who will take the coveted twam titles.Your view?

Very shocked if Fionnuala and Mick don't win the respective men's and women's titles. Dominant forces. Will have to wait and see the teams to make a judgement on that. Raheny and DSD were dominant in Dublin though in the two senior races.

Bit pedantic perhaps but its the Inter Clubs no longer and county titles are up for grabs too. I like the ring of the National XC Championships too. A bit more prestige

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Very shocked if Fionnuala and Mick don't win the respective men's and women's titles. Dominant forces. Will have to wait and see the teams to make a judgement on that. Raheny and DSD were dominant in Dublin though in the two senior races.

Bit pedantic perhaps but its the Inter Clubs no longer and county titles are up for grabs too. I like the ring of the National XC Championships too. A bit more prestige

Mark Christie will win mens if he runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

Why is it we see this as an event to spectate at, rather than take part? Is it fear or what? No shame in running to your own ability over 10k on the country and donning your club vest with your teammates.

Everyone on here delving into detail about how they're going to shave another 2 minutes off their marathon PB, and the answer is staring you in the face. Get your ar*e kicked by the best in the country, and kick on from there.

Not having a go at you OP, I understand why its in the main forum. Just think people are missing out. For the record, I also reckon Mark Christie and Fionnuala Mc will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

"Why is it we see this as an event to spectate at, rather than take part? Is it fear or what? No shame in running to your own ability over 10k on the country and donning your club vest with your teammates.

Everyone on here delving into detail about how they're going to shave another 2 minutes off their marathon PB, and the answer is staring you in the face. Get your ar*e kicked by the best in the country, and kick on from there."

I think you'll find a lot of the lads who post here are regular XC racers. There's a massive gap in times and standards though, between let's say your average BHAA race, and the Nationals, which IMO is one of the reasons why many club runners don't bother. For myself (mid pack BHAA man and club runner) I don't see any purpose in entering this, and probably being lapped by the rest of the field. Maybe I'll eventually improve to a level which would justify me entering the top rank events. Baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Lougheee wrote:
    Everyone on here delving into detail about how they're going to shave another 2 minutes off their marathon PB, and the answer is staring you in the face. Get your ar*e kicked by the best in the country, and kick on from there.

That's a fairly brutal assertion. Is it really that black and white? I very much doubt.

How many people win road races on a regular basis on this forum? Getting hammered on the grass is no worse or no better than getting hammered on the road. It is what it is. Maybe people just don't want to run XC, myself included presently. That's their own personal choice.

I doubt posts like yours will help increase participation levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Anyone heard the old timers saying 'a good cross country runner will make a good road runner but a good road runner won't always make a good cross country runner'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think you will.also find a lot club runners look at the indoor this time of year.

Indoor profile has increased loads and very attractive to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

How many people win road races on a regular basis on this forum? Getting hammered on the grass is no worse or no better than getting hammered on the road. It is what it is.

There's a difference though, being lapped and finishing at the very back doesn't really happen for most on the roads whereas it does in XC and I know for a fact that the fear of that discourages people from running these races so they avoid it by not running instead of challenging it and trying to finish as far from the back as possible, fail, try again and so on. Today's backmarker is tomorrows midpacker...

There's no shame in finishing at the back or being lapped if you gave it a good effort and push on from there, there's tons of room for improvement. For me personally, I'd prefer to be the challenged backmarker in XC than the comfortable midpacker on the roads. Think I got lapped last year in over 50% of my races last year and that included some on the track that lasted just over 10 minutes but it was probably the best I was ever running. That's how you move up a level in pretty much anything, by challenging yourself against peole who are better than you and you have to start somewhere which is mostly going to be the bottom rung of the ladder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Ciara Mageean in with a shout as well, and dont rule out Pollock in mens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

El Caballo wrote: »
    There's a difference though, being lapped and finishing at the very back doesn't really happen for most on the roads whereas it does in XC and I know for a fact that the fear of that discourages people from running these races so they avoid it by not running instead of challenging it and trying to finish as far from the back as possible, fail, try again and so on. Today's backmarker is tomorrows midpacker...

There's no shame in finishing at the back or being lapped if you gave it a good effort and push on from there, there's tons of room for improvement. For me personally, I'd prefer to be the challenged backmarker in XC than the comfortable midpacker on the roads. Think I got lapped last year in over 50% of my races last year and that included some on the track that lasted just over 10 minutes but it was probably the best I was ever running. That's how you move up a level in pretty much anything, by challenging yourself against peole who are better than you and you have to start somewhere which is mostly going to be the bottom rung of the ladder.

I finished 5th and 4th from last in Intermediate xc and 99th and 101st in the national novice xc before I improved to 6th in int and 10th 9th and 13th in the novice. They were harrowing experiences at the time but they eventually stood to me. Road races nowadays can be threadbare and give a false impression of the standard you are at and the work you need to do. National events particularly xc open your eyes and your mind to the work required but also the possible rewards from that work. There is no hiding place or comfort zone in xc its brutal truth but provides valuable lessons to those willing to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

The top ten in the 2015 inter-clubs and Irish runners in the top ten in the recent AAI Games will make up the core of both teams. A few runners who missed these races like Sarah McCormack, Anne Marie McGlynn, and Sarah Mulligan could get in the mix as well as a few runners in the States who may travel home. Would be great to see Kevin and Conor Dooney, Liam Brady, and Laura Shaughnessy all making the Irish team.

1. Fionnuala McCormack, 2. Lizzie Lee, 3. Caroline Crowley, 4. Kerry O'Flaherty, 5. Ciara Durkan, 6. Michelle Finn, 7. Laura Crowe, 8. Shona Heaslip , 9. Sara Treacy, 10. Emma Michell

AAI Games
    1. Fionnuala McCormack, 3. Caroline Crowley, 4. Laura Shaughnessy, 6. Siobhan O'Doherty, 7. Una Britton, 8. Catherine Whoriskey

1. Mick Clohisey, 2. John Coghlan, 3. Paul Pollock, 4. Ryan Creech, 5. Joseph Sweeney, 6. Freddy Sittuk, 7. Sergiu Ciobanu, 8. David Flynn, 9. Brian Maher, 10. Andrew Connick

AAI Games
    1. Mark Christie, 3. Freddy Keron-Sittuk, 5. Brian Maher, 6. Michael Clohisey, 7. Kevin Dooney, 9. Liam Brady, 10 Conor Dooney

"Why is it we see this as an event to spectate at, rather than take part? Is it fear or what? No shame in running to your own ability over 10k on the country and donning your club vest with your teammates.

Everyone on here delving into detail about how they're going to shave another 2 minutes off their marathon PB, and the answer is staring you in the face. Get your ar*e kicked by the best in the country, and kick on from there."

I think you'll find a lot of the lads who post here are regular XC racers. There's a massive gap in times and standards though, between let's say your average BHAA race, and the Nationals, which IMO is one of the reasons why many club runners don't bother. For myself (mid pack BHAA man and club runner) I don't see any purpose in entering this, and probably being lapped by the rest of the field. Maybe I'll eventually improve to a level which would justify me entering the top rank events. Baby steps!

Clubs like Inishowen AC and Tullamore AC had full teams of backmarkers who would have been lapped in last year's men's race. I commend them. What's wrong with getting lapped anyway? We're all doing our best.

If you're looking from a purpose, your result could act as a measurement of how you improve year on year. I use it in this way. What's great about the national xc is you can say you were 30 seconds behind x, and you might think you're having a bad run but a rival may be a minute behind you, etc.

I completely take your point and understand it is a daunting event. I just think it would be brilliant to have a similar set up to the hundreds of runners that take part in the English national XC. But I acknowledge we're a smaller country etc and its not the same.

That's a fairly brutal assertion. Is it really that black and white? I very much doubt.

How many people win road races on a regular basis on this forum? Getting hammered on the grass is no worse or no better than getting hammered on the road. It is what it is. Maybe people just don't want to run XC, myself included presently. That's their own personal choice.

I doubt posts like yours will help increase participation levels.

That's fair enough. I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my original post.

It may not be that simple. But for me, we have so many distance runners in this country, people running 5 or 6 days a week, they'd consider 10k a good distance they like on the road, and also run XC races. Yet, they wouldn't dream of doing the national cross country is weird to me.

But yeah you're right, its personal choice. I'd like to see more people compete, that's just a personal view of mine, which came through a bit too strongly in my post yesterday so apologies! Not trying to judge and didn't mean to sound so preachy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Lougheee wrote: »
    That's fair enough. I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my original post.

It may not be that simple. But for me, we have so many distance runners in this country, people running 5 or 6 days a week, they'd consider 10k a good distance they like on the road, and also run XC races. Yet, they wouldn't dream of doing the national cross country is weird to me.

But yeah you're right, its personal choice. I'd like to see more people compete, that's just a personal view of mine, which came through a bit too strongly in my post yesterday so apologies! Not trying to judge and didn't mean to sound so preachy.

Sorry, I did not mean for it to come across like I was having a go.

I guess once again it comes down to racing vs. time-trialling for me. Most runners don't run to simply beat people. It has now become a race against the clock largely and the competitive element of coming as far up as possible in the placing is most definitely secondary. Now, obviously I am speaking from my own personal experiences and am giving my anecdotal two cents. For example, it is easier to 'hang your hat' on a 10km time than come xx in the county or national championship. This again comes down to the dilution of depth and quality in many of the road races in Ireland due to the saturation of races. Put simply: it is easier to run a road race than run cross country for many.

Also, I don't buy the argument one bit that XC racing leaves you with 'no place to hide' etc. Coming over 40 minutes behind a marathon winner is a pretty leveling experience. You don't need to run on grass for you to know your place on the running spectrum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Didnt see FMac in the entry list, maybe she skips it for Euros ? will Mageean be strong enough to win over the distance or Crowley take it? Mens Christie.Claw.PP my top 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Huge entry http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/U23__Sen.pdf

Shane Quinn is entered, if he runs he could be competitive given how good he was a few years ago. Could be Raheny's year but who will be their fourth scorer and DSD look solid for the women's.

Sarah McCormack ran well here: http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=182032&event=5.9KXC&venue=Milton+Keynes&date=12-Nov-16

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Lougheee wrote: »
    Why is it we see this as an event to spectate at, rather than take part? Is it fear or what? No shame in running to your own ability over 10k on the country and donning your club vest with your teammates.

Not having a go at you OP, I understand why its in the main forum. Just think people are missing out. For the record, I also reckon Mark Christie and Fionnuala Mc will win.

Fair play and well said. And now I'll hang my head in shame and admit I'll be at the sidelines (probably giving ya dogs abuse haha), I really haven't had too much joy getting teams out myself for xc, which is very frustrating, and by now I've decided to skip the seniors and go do jingle bells instead ha (and shave them 15sec hopefully haha :p). Hopefully we'll get a decent team out for the novice instead. Ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club is a quote that I'm blue in the face from saying ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice to see Mark Kenneally among the entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

we have a team! (the poor fools :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So anyone have any idea what the parking situation is up here for tomorrow? I believe the parking is limited at the site?

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    So anyone have any idea what the parking situation is up here for tomorrow? I believe the parking is limited at the site?

In Abbottstown there's a bunch of car parks, going back to the aquatic centre maybe 15 minutes walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Quick question: how far is it walking from the Snugborough Road to the xc course? Really looking forward to the two senior races! Good luck to anyone running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

What times are the races at....?

fletch wrote: »
    What times are the races at....?

Women 13.45
    Men 14.25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Results

Mens
    1 Mark Christie
    2 Mick Clohisey
    3 Mark Hanrahan

Team: Raheny

Women's
    1 Shona Heaslip
    2 Kerry O Flaherty
    3 Ciara Mageean

Junior: Jack O Leary and Sophie Murphy
    U23: Karl Fitzmaurice

Elsewhere F McCormack won in Alcobendas winning over 14.33 5k women Etenesh Diro.

(All the results I have seen so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Results

Mens
    1 Mark Christie
    2 Mick Clohisey
    3 Mark Hanrahan

Team: Raheny

Women's
    1 Shona Heaslip
    2 Kerry O Flaherty
    3 Ciara Mageean

Junior: Jack O Leary and Sophie Murphy
    U23: Karl Fitzmaurice

Elsewhere F McCormack won in Alcobendas winning over 14.33 5k women Etenesh Diro.

(All the results I have seen so far)

Women's team was DSD-Leevale-An Ríocht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great run by Shona Heaslip, surprised everyone with that run. Couldn't believe Ciara Mageann got caught in the finishing straight, thought her track speed would stand to her! Great to see her back though.

Delighted for Christie as well in a very high standard mens race. Surprised Pollock was as far back as he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great run by Shona Heaslip, surprised everyone with that run. Couldn't believe Ciara Mageann got caught in the finishing straight, thought her track speed would stand to her! Great to see her back though.

Delighted for Christie as well in a very high standard mens race. Surprised Pollock was as far back as he was.

Ciara didn't look as comfortable as I thought she would. I wonder is she in a training block 'running on tired legs'? I was surprised Kerry caught her too, at 150m to go, both looked equally shattered but Kerry's strength bested Ciara's speed....There were a couple of short but leg-sapping segments of mud along the course and I'd say this is where steeplechase strength/training came to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Surprised Pollock was as far back as he was.

I imagine between travel and the race in his legs from last week he was probably eyeing just making the team and freshening up for 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Super runs by Mark Christie and Shona Heaslip! The Raheny senior men have a ridiculous squad - that's their first senior men's national title. And they could have a few more in the next few years. Ennis Track men were very impressive too.

That was my first time seeing the course and the whole set-up and I thought it looked really good. Looking forward to seeing how it ages!

Advertisement