Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Episode 2016

Options
  • 19-11-2016 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭

Children in Need Trailer

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, I dunno, the Xmas episodes can be hit or miss, and often far too twee and silly for my tastes. This in looks no different and the superhero theme is a bit done at this stage .Might give it a miss, even if it's the only Who this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That looks dreadful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Latching onto the trend of Superheroes in pop culture feels like a desperate grasp for relevance (though I'm sure it'll be some alien-related thingy), and even the relatively low-budgeted CW shows look more convincing than that clips naff, wonky looking FX & costume.

I feel like a grinch for picking on a Xmas fluff episode, but they feel so perfunctory at this stage; Moffat's under orders to write a jolly season romp so he knocks out whatever crap's sitting in his brain at the time of writing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll watch it because the words "Doctor" and "Who" are involved but yeah, hardly looks phenomenal.

A full trailer popped up; doubt it'll change anyones ideas of what to expect, but here it is anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭bren2001

This looks embarrassingly bad but I'll watch it none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If nothing else there should be a preview of what Mr. Capaldi and Miss Mackie-Asbill have in store for us at Easter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

flazio wrote: »
    If nothing else there should be a preview of what Mr. Capaldi and Miss Mackie-Asbill have in store for us at Easter.

Not sure it can be worse than the Doctor, Widow and wardrobe crud or bit of a mess that was last year's offering.

flazio wrote: »

Oh yeah, forgot there'd probably be a trailer - but hey, you'd only need to wait 5-10 minutes after the episode finishes before it'd appear on YouTube anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It was passable enough, wrapped up too quickly as usual.

Matt Lucas should have been allowed nowhere near it

Don't think Invasion has been topped as an Xmas special for me though.

And that was the first one.

6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thought it was forgettable to be honest.
    The superhero thing just didn't work for me. We are in this day and age with countless superhero movies and shows going on for years now. Doctor Who doing one is kinda late to the party and also out of place. But I get it, it's only a bit of fun. So am sure plenty of people enjoyed the episode. Just for me it didn't mix right.

Like the writers thought to themselves "what's currently in right now?" then someone said "well superhero movies are. What if the doctor met Superman?" and there's your episode :pac:

New season looks interesting from the trailer tho.

Thought it was forgettable to be honest.
    The superhero thing just didn't work for me. We are in this day and age with countless superhero movies and shows going on for years now. Doctor Who doing one is kinda late to the party and also out of place. But I get it, it's only a bit of fun. So am sure plenty of people enjoyed the episode. Just for me it didn't mix right.

Like the writers thought to themselves "what's currently in right now?" then someone said "well superhero movies are. What if the doctor met Superman?" and there's your episode :pac:

New season looks interesting from the trailer tho.

Can't disagree with any of that. It seems like these Xmas specials are being whacked out for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I thought it reasonably good. I liked how the superhero idea was brought into the universe, and the many Superman movie homages.

TBH Matt Lucas seemed like a superfluous after thought, who added little. The story could have gladly left him out and engineered the reporter to the substitute "Christmas episode" companion (a la Kylie, Tate etc), which would have seemed a better fit.

Apart from having more Lucas, the trailer seemed promising. Bill has potential.

While it wasn't amazing, I found nothing to really dislike in the episode, I even quite enjoyed the Superman Easter egg (please contact Siegel and Shuster for more information- the joint creators of the big boy).

One of the better Christmas episodes (which still leaves it in the throw away range, but far better than some of the really rubbishy specials we've seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To me it felt more like a good regular episode of Doctor Who rather than something "special".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I enjoyed for what it was but there was nothing special or Christmassy about it really.

I do feel Capaldi who I really like as the Doctor but I think he has been let down by the writing which has been in decline for a number of years now even before he became the Doctor.

Capaldi's has carried a few episodes, but was unable to salvage even this one.

Didn't think Matt Smith could carry weak episodes myself, and that's why I found his run not so good.

I would be a big defender of the Moff's run (I simply cannot understand how people think the writing is worse compared to some of the insulting dreck we got served from time to time under Davies) but I do think it's time for a fresh perspective. Just like I thought when it was Smith's time to go, I've enjoyed him, but I can see it getting old very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Well the upcoming series is going to be his last, with Chris Chibnall taking over from Series 11

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I thought it was fine insofar as Christmas episodes go. I tend not to be too harsh on those, as they are just a once off that's tangential to the main series.

I was relieved that they didn't say the Doctor was still pining after Clara at least.

• Advertisement

Like the Daleks, the Christmas Episode has become a contractual obligation that has long past its welcome IMO; both elements could do with a pause, but for monetary / marketing reasons that just can't happen.

So it's a bit unfair to lambaste Moffat for something he's obliged to write, and not necessarily feeling the most enthused about year in, year out. Not trying to presume his mood or anything, but I can't imagine it's easy having to rattle together an annual cheery romp for the last 6 years. I agree though he's probably best stepping down & definitely doesn't deserve the ludicrous fan-hate he receives.

Anyway, I actually enjoyed 'Doctor Mysterio' more than I thought I would & was about as superfluous and silly as a Christmas episode should be. Not remotely the worst Xmas Special there has been (End of Time, Runaway Bride or the Doctor, Widow & Wardrobe spring to mind) and the superhero stuff was played well enough. The budget definitely did the flying sequences & costume no favours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Bah, humbug, you lot. I really enjoyed that. It's the first Who in 12 months, he's over Clara, his own man again, and ready to go on adventures again (after his 24 year final night with River- enjoyed that bit of continuity from last years xmas episode).
    The episode had plenty of cheese but that's xmas specials. I laughed quite a bit throughout and Matt Lucas didn't wreck my head.
    The Doctor is his own man again and I'm very optimistic about the coming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Angron wrote: »
    I thought it was fine insofar as Christmas episodes go. I tend not to be too harsh on those, as they are just a once off that's tangential to the main series.

I was relieved that they didn't say the Doctor was still pining after Clara at least.

He's forgotten she existed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

He's forgotten she existed.
    Oh yeah, I'd actually forgotten that had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Angron wrote: »

I Think that is why they left it to the very end to mention it to keep people guessing but the 24 years was meant to be a clue if you were nerdy and remembered. I think the Matt Lucas thing was badly thought out as it was not probably explained. Looks like he is in some of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Disappointing, but not the worst Christmas episode I've seen.

Disappointing, but not the worst Christmas episode I've seen.

True. There have been some stinkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I Think that is why they left it to the very end to mention it to keep people guessing but the 24 years was meant to be a clue if you were nerdy and remembered.

But that was about river song

Advertisement