Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum Pension Contribution for Proprietary Director

Options
  • 18-11-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am 42 and the director of my own limited company. Is the maximum pension contribution paid by my company greater than the normal 25% for someone of my age? I won't be making any employee contributions.

I have a dormant executive pension from previous employer so intend to start a new one and transfer retained benefits into it. So what is the limit for company contributions in the above scenario?

On a related issue if I take a salary of €60,000 and the company contributes €15,000 to pension is my final salary then considered to be €75,000 and taxed accoringly or is it seen as separate?
    Thanks
    ftc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Alan152

Hi Feartheclaw

A company can contribute much higher amounts based on a maximum funding calculator. There is a capitalisation factor table that is based on your age and the calc works out at 2/3 of your salary x cap factor which for example could be 25 so that works out at €1m over the next 23 years to nra so you could contribute 43k per annum for the next 23 years and the company gets corporation relief on this contribution. 2/3 x €60k =€40k x 25 =€1m divided by years to nra.

Figures are rough worked and you need to take into account your retained beneifts also, you need to get a professional advisor to do the figures exactly based on the capitalisation table.

Also the €15k you pay from the company to the pension is not considered salary for tax purposes. The reliefs are generous for a limited company when it comes to max funding a pension for an executive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maximum funding rates are very high. Likely to be well in excess of 100% of salary.

Advertisement