Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationalist reporting on an incident in Fairgreen.

Options
  • 18-11-2016 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Anyone see P.2 of this weeks paper?

They've basically done a hatchet job on a unit there & the operators of same with irresponsible reporting of what was, a non-criminal incident.

As for the lady herself one daren't point out the various CCTV Cameras that monitor her on a daily basis or she'll become paranoid & wrap her daughter in a black sack before leaving the house.

Not to mention that every second person (yours truly excluded) these days has one of them Smartphone yokes with a camera on it and could at any monent be taking a photo of her daughter unbeknownst to her in the Fairgreen or anywhere else.

In theory nobody should be taking photos in the Fairgreen w/out express (written?) permission of management of the centre whether employees/staff members or the public as it's private property but try enforcing/policing that one if it became/becomes policy?

Unenforceable.

As for the Nationalists hyperbolic reporting?

Crass, inflammatory, insensitive & unnecessary to use phrases like "...the man, a foreign national" while on the same page, in the report on an alleged sexual assault of a 14 year old girl at a Bonfire Party on Halloween Night, Monday the 31st of October, they don't allude to nationality of person arrested & released w/out charge or of the other suspect who hasn't been detained.

Consistent mind you with a report they published in the edition of Tuesday the 25th of October regarding a snatch n' grab at an ATM in Tullow where they mentioned (alleged?) nationality (unsure if those involved apprehended).

Last week they subsequently published a letter from someone who wished to remain anonymous in which they were taken to task for this which I was well impressed by on two counts; one was because they published it, ergo holding their hands up regarding irresponsible journalism & two because of the person from Bagenalstown who wrote it; it shows someone cares enough that nationality isn't important or relevant regarding that report.

The lady herself was on Liveline today (Thursday the 17th of November) but there was no discussion; Joe took the call, it lasted all of 5 mins. & nobody else rang in about it.

There was no crime here.

What there is now is the usual angry mob willing to turn on anyone who looks different and those operating the kiosk are potential targets.

So well bloody done to the Nationalist and the lady in question in this regard.

It reminds me of two incidences I came across this year when conducting an anti-racism survey.

One man was Indian; t'other Tamil Eelam (Sri Lanka); both got abuse for being Muslim because of their skin pigmentation.

Both got told to go home to their own countries (the specific ones weren't mentioned).

The knuckle dragging boneheads involved failed to stick around long enough to realise this is home to and for both.

The Tamil Eelam bloke? Went through our Gulags for 4 years before eventually being granted refugee status under the subsidiary protection programme and is now as Irish as the next man (or woman) with the same rights regarding employment, education, entitlements (benefits), voting etc.

The Indian is a naturalised citizen & is also entitled to same rights as I am.

Coupled with the African Shop under the Petrol Station on the Tullow Rd. being tagged with racist graffiti a few years ago, an individual or individuals spray-painting Islam is Evil on Burrin St. bridge in Nov. 14 (and nobody saw anything or anyone despite the fact it would've taken some planning and time and then there was the Anti-Islam graffiti spray-painted onto Pat Deerings flatbed truck in the Springtime during the General Election.

Again nobody got done for it, no one was seen doing it despite it being at the Deerpark R/A one of the busiest intersections in our out of Carlow.

The nincompoop sprayed "Islam is a blithe (sic) on society" on it.

Not sure if the idiot was targeting Pat or just chose the location due to amount of traffic and prominence of location.

Either way there's a pattern emerging here; not one I'm wholly comfortable with; it's sporadic, intermittent but it's happening nonetheless.

This on top of the leader of SOO Ireland living in Carlow (Full Address available by PM only) and carrying out "Patrols" as well as flogging his merchandise from his house while signing on with his wife.

Ends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I haven't seen the aforementioned "article" but it seems they have moved on from degrading Dubs to degrading foreign nationals from what you say.

My friend is very sallow and faces the same comments despite the fact he was born here and has literally never spent a day outside the country.

However, it is pandering to a certain cohort of society who seem to be on the rise as evidenced by recent elections. Seems to be a correlation between education cuts and the rise of these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Nokia6230i wrote:
    As for the lady herself one daren't point out the various CCTV Cameras that monitor her on a daily basis or she'll become paranoid & wrap her daughter in a black sack before leaving the house.

He said he took the pictures to send back to his country so I think she has every right to confront him. I would be the same if he took pictures of my daughter. I think the reason the paper put in that he was from a different country was because of his excuse. I think it's a shame that people say "in my country" we can do this and get away with things. If we went to his country and do something would we get away with it. Now I am not a racist but when kids are involved it doesn't matter what race you are. Taking pictures is bang out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

So what actually happened ? Some guy was taking pictures of a young girl in fairgreen and the mother confronted him ?

So what actually happened ? Some guy was taking pictures of a young girl in fairgreen and the mother confronted him ?

A lad on a stall took pictures of a child on a bike. Her mother seen him and confront him. He said he loves kids and wants to share the pictures with his family back home. But he forgot to ask her for permission this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Hold on. Is your issue with the woman, the nationalist or both?

Technically a crime hasn't been committed but if you think she was overreacting then you're wrong.

I agree that the Nationalist didn't need to mention that the offender was a foreigner. But if you are looking for reasons to the outraged then you are stirring the **** with the wrong side of the stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

iano.p wrote: »
    A lad on a stall took pictures of a child on a bike. Her mother seen him and confront him. He said he loves kids and wants to share the pictures with his family back home. But he forgot to ask her for permission this time.

This needs to be the OP of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Hold on. Is your issue with the woman, the nationalist or both?

Technically a crime hasn't been committed but if you think she was overreacting then you're wrong.

I agree that the Nationalist didn't need to mention that the offender was a foreigner. But if you are looking for reasons to the outraged then you are stirring the **** with the wrong side of the stick.

Maybe she wasn't overreacting but the Nationalist surely overreacted making such a big story out of it, I agree with the OP it's a non story.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's not like the child was in swimming togs. I can't understand why someone would make such a fuss, it's not like he had a name and address for the child. Paper never refuses ink, they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

It's not like the child was in swimming togs. I can't understand why someone would make such a fuss, it's not like he had a name and address for the child. Paper never refuses ink, they say.

Why take pictures of complete strangers if that's the case. If a stranger was taking pictures of my kids then I would ask what the fcuk they were doing.
    It's not right that somebody expects they can do this without recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,430 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nokia6230i wrote: »

This on top of the leader of SOO Ireland living in Carlow and carrying out "Patrols" as well as flogging his merchandise from his house while signing on with his wife.

Can I ask what SOO Ireland is?

Patrols for what?

• Advertisement

The guy shouldn't be taking pictures of children tbh. That would make me uncomfortable too if it was my kids and some random guy was taking pictures of them. So I don't blame the mother for confronting him.

I'd have to read the article myself but all you've said about that in relation to being insensitive and inflammatory was they used the phrase "the man, a foreign national". I don't see how that's anyway insensitive or inflammatory. Papers routinely give as much information as the can without naming people.

I'm not sure that the "angry mob ready to turn on the foreigners" is about either.

Can I ask what SOO Ireland is?

Patrols for what?

So a guy from Portugal living in Carlow sets up a neo-nazi group to protect Ireland from the gangs of Muslim emigrants "terrorizing" Irish streets.

The groups "protecting" Irish streets from emigrants are mainly made up of Eastern European emigrants by the looks of there website and facebook page.

LOL They all need to climb back into whatever hole they climbed out of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So a guy from Portugal living in Carlow sets up a neo-nazi group to protect Ireland from the gangs of Muslim emigrants "terrorizing" Irish streets.

The groups "protecting" is streets are mainly made up of Eastern European emigrants by the looks of there website and facebook page.

LOL They all need to climb back into whatever hole they climbed out of.

Do you have a link out of interest? Are there many Portuguese in Carlow, I've seen them mentioned a few times

Do you have a link out of interest? Are there many Portuguese in Carlow, I've seen them mentioned a few times

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/we-unmask-leader-of-anti-islamic-group-now-patrolling-irish-streets

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Now there's a story for the Nationalist.

KCLR talking about them today so maybe the Nationalist might start reporting about them now.

Woman says she’s received vile threats from Carlow-based far-right group
    A woman says she has been subjected to vile threats and abusive calls by a Carlow-based far-right group.

The group calling themselves the Soldiers of Odin claim they want to raise awareness about the dangers of Muslims and other immigrants.

Sharon Collins and a friend of hers set up a Facebook page poking fun at them after her friend was subjected to online abuse from the group.

However, Sharon says her account was then hacked and her personal details taken.

Speaking to KCLR Live this morning, Sharon says she’s been subjected to threats not just from Irish members…

KCLR has contacted members of the group and we’re awaiting a response.

http://kclr96fm.com/woman-says-shes-received-vile-threats-carlow-based-far-right-group/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The group calling themselves the Soldiers of Odin claim they want to raise awareness about the dangers of Muslims and other immigrants.
    Ha Ha. Someone should let them know what the definition of immigrant is. Bit rich when their top guy is from Portugal and living in Carlow.

immigrant

play
    noun im·mi·grant \ˈi-mə-grənt\

Popularity: Top 1% of lookups
    Simple Definition of immigrant

• : a person who comes to a country to live there
    Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

BattleCorp wrote:
    Ha Ha. Someone should let them know what the definition of immigrant is. Bit rich when their top guy is from Portugal and living in Carlow.

Holy crap I almost chocked on my dinner. That lad use to labour for me years ago. He use to be with a girl from the town. He was a lazy fella he always blamed everyone else for crap he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Why take pictures of complete strangers if that's the case. If a stranger was taking pictures of my kids then I would ask what the fcuk they were doing.
    It's not right that somebody expects they can do this without recourse.

It's not illegal in this country to take pictures of anybody without their permission - that's the law not my opinion, you have no judicial right to privacy outside of your own home.

Hence the individual did nothing wrong and there was also no need to make reference to his ethical identity, no matter how vague.

Has anybody asked this mother if she has a Facebook page and if so has she posted pictures of her daughter on it?

It's not illegal in this country to take pictures of anybody without their permission - that's the law not my opinion, you have no judicial right to privacy outside of your own home.

Hence the individual did nothing wrong and there was also no need to make reference to his ethical identity, no matter how vague.

Has anybody asked this mother if she has a Facebook page and if so has she posted pictures of her daughter on it?

Not everything that's wrong is illegal and not everything illegal is wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement