Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complaint about consultant

Options
  • 17-11-2016 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have being a patient of a consultant for a number of years. I have a medical condition, for which I need medication daily and careful monitoring. Upon my first visit I was assured that the consultant knew how to care for me . So for the next number of years I started to develop many different symptoms. These symptoms caused me many sleepless nights, stress , full time employment, and a basic life . But my consultant always explained these symptoms away and increases my medication. I have just changed my consultant to one whom knows my condition (definitely) I am now under taking a road of recovery which could take 2 years . And trying to get over my years of mismanagement that not only do I need medical treatment but also physiological help. I am making complaint about my former consultant but not to gain . But any solicitor just speaks about monetary gain. I would just like to make the consultant aware of the people she is treating, why she is a doctor and give her best care to her next patient. Does anyone have any experience about making a complaint and hoe they went about it. Thank you .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Sounds like you need to make a complaint to the medical council about the consultant. have a read of the links and see if this is indeed the corret path for you.

check here that they are registered -> https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Check-the-Register/

making a complaint is here -> https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Making-a-Complaint-/

7 grounds for a complaint -> https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Making-a-Complaint-/Grounds-for-Complaints/Grounds%20for%20Complaints.html

https://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Public-Information/Professional-Conduct-Ethics/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I've tried it before by writing to the CEO of the hospital who passed the complaint on to the consultant!! So that was no use. The consultant wrote back alright but it was by no means an apology, rather excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 littketabs

Ya I spoke to her directly. Told her where I am at now but their was no compassion from her . She really did not care at all .

littketabs wrote: »
    Ya I spoke to her directly. Told her where I am at now but their was no compassion from her . She really did not care at all .

Very frustrating I know, it's like they're a law unto themselves and never admit their wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

pilly wrote: »
    Very frustrating I know, it's like they're a law unto themselves and never admit their wrong.
    Not defending at all, but they'll never admit that they are wrong because that would open them up to legal action.

I would say the Irish Medical Council option would be best.
    Otherwise, some hospitals have a patient representative group that might be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why would they? The complaints procedure is in place to establish that. It hasn't (yet) been followed.

endacl wrote: »
    Why would they? The complaints procedure is in place to establish that. It hasn't (yet) been followed.

Because sometimes a heartfelt apology is all someone genuinely wants, they don't want money or procedures.

Vojera wrote: »
    Not defending at all, but they'll never admit that they are wrong because that would open them up to legal action.

Otherwise, some hospitals have a patient representative group that might be able to help you.

A good point I suppose but it's a tough one. Sometimes all someone wants is an acknowledgement and apology, it's not about money or complaints panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Because sometimes a heartfelt apology is all someone genuinely wants, they don't want money or procedures.

But that means admitting they done something wrong,

Gatling wrote: »
    But that means admitting they done something wrong,

I know, catch 22 I suppose.

• Advertisement

Just to make it clear I am not interested in making money . I have not a penny to my name and I have being advise to sue because I would get a large pay claim settlement and it would be more than likely settled out of court but why would I want to make money in that way . And what do I achieve, for what good , she doesn't change !! Because it's kept hush hush .. if she had said to me a genuine apology and that she really didn't know about my condition I would have accepted. But she put it back on me , like I wanted nearly 10 years of feeling crap and having no life in and out of hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

If a patient is unhappy with the way they have been treated or the way their condition has been managed, it is important to follow the hospital complaints procedure. The procedure is in place to support the patient and to identify not only this patient's particular problem but to also detect patterns so that the hospital and the doctors involved can act and prevent future problems. If you feel it is a serious issue and you don't complain formally, the problem may occur again. The procedure allows for the doctor involved to examine the complaint and respond as they see fit.

I would advise you to contact the hospital involved, enquire about their complaints procedure, and explain the issues in writing in as clear and simple a way as possible. Any hospital I have worked in takes complaints seriously, both at management and medical level. If you don't get satisfaction, you could contact a HSE complaints officer (http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/yourhealthservice/feedback/Complaints/) or a patient organisation (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_system/patient_support_organisations.html).

Doctors get complaints on a daily basis ranging from simple things that can be sorted with an apology, to serious issues that involve the Medical Council or even the courts. The vast majority of complaints can be dealt with locally and often between the patient and the doctor themselves. Most problems are down to misunderstandings, miscommunication, time pressure (on either side), distractions, or other human error. Malice and negligence are rare.

I am a patient and a doctor. I have worked in patient safety roles, I have made complaints, and I have responded to complaints. In my experience the vast majority of doctors expect the highest standards not only of themselves but also of their peers. It is possible to apologise without admitting liability - we are being trained to do this and the HSE is working on open disclosure (https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/qualityandpatientsafety/nau/Open_Disclosure/). Most patients are satisfied with an apology and the majority are actually happy to continue being treated by the same doctor after the apology - many of us have patients who say they trust us more after we told them about an error or apologised for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

OP, did you see the original consultant through the private system or the public system ?

Both , when I was unable to get a public appointment I would see her privately. This happened numerous times

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Vojera wrote: »

The Medical Council are a joke less than 5% of complaints they take on are successful.

They only really exist to protect Doctors and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Many of issues they deal with should be dealt with in the criminal courts.

I had a friend who was almost killed by a Doctor due to his incompetence yet the medical council found no case against the Doctor and did not even give him an official warning.

Another disturbing thing I've heard about the Medical Council is that they will not take action against a Doctor unless they get at least 2 complaints against the Doctor.

Advertisement