Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast Audio

Options
  • 17-11-2016 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

So google have released Chrome-cast Audio.

A great feature is that it allows you to set up multi room audio and play from multiple devices.

I want set this up in few rooms through out my house. Can anyone offer ideas on how to run an amp that only turns on when music is playing.

I want to be able to cast and to not have to turn on any speakers/amps from switches/remotes/Bluetooth. My ideal solution is ceiling speakers in my bedroom and bathroom, with an amplifier hidden away in the attic. when audio is played the speakers or amp would turn on and they would not play white noise when I stopped playing.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So you are looking for a kind of wake on LAN type feature for audio I'd imagine that not playing white noise is very possible but not without juice to the amp
    I'm not aware of such a feature . I could be wrong but I don't think it exists . Maybe the lads on the home av forum could help. I would suggest numerous options for remote power but you don't want that.

Even if it was a button on your phone ? Press it the power turns on to the amp while you are streaming on the same phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CT2

Haven't had munch luck finding a single automated solution.... Cheers for the remote power idea will use that most likely .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some speakers and AV's do have a feature where they go into a low power sleep mode and then power up when they detect audio on the cable. My lovely AudioEngine 5 powered speakers do this. However I don't think it is a very widespread feature and I don't know of amps that can do it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bk wrote: »
    Some speakers and AV's do have a feature where they go into a low power sleep mode and then power up when they detect audio on the cable. My lovely AudioEngine 5 powered speakers do this. However I don't think it is a very widespread feature and I don't know of amps that can do it.

Yes, I have a Marantz NR1606 amplifier that does exactly that.
    I can control it from an amp on my phone too.
    It is primarily an AV amp but it can play in two rooms simultaneously.

I remember installing about a dozen Bose SA-3 amplifiers in the past into the comms room of a large house in the past. As far as I recall these units activated one the source activated. These apps would be considered dated now, I'm sure the newer version is superior. See link:

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-35004-Lifestyle-SA-3-amplifier/dp/B0002JY6TA

Advertisement