Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to environmental science, book recommendations?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm considering a bit of a 'career' u-turn (I'm still in college) and looking to focus on something a bit more in touch with nature and related to climate change and the environment, I'm strongly thinking about applying to environmental science in NUIG but I want to read up a bit more on it before I commit to anything... Can anyone suggest a good book (maybe an introduction to the subject) or if there's an online course that would give me an idea of what I would be studying in college :) Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Silent Spring by Rebecca Carson.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Youredeadright

'Something New Under The Sun' by JR McNeill is a great place to start. He is(was?) Professor of History at Georgetown and has researched the hell out of the environmental changes in the 20th century. It's an easy enough read if you're into the subject and the footnotes offer more subtopics at every turn.

I'd also recommend reading stuff by the Breakthrough Institute based in California. They're approach is unconventional at times and even if you disagree with their points, it will expose you to a pretty sophisticated level of thinking about land use/resource scarcity/climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ej2222

Advertisement