Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 or 6 subjects for LC?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

It's a fairly common strategy used by students to neglect their 7th subject in order to focus on the other 6. If you really don't like business, and can't see yourself counting it for points, then ya I'd say it's safe enough to either drop it to OL, or if you really don't need it then drop it altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Do you mind me asking Katie, what options are there to you for primary teaching courses? My daughter is doing her Jr this year and she wants to do it but I hadn't thought the points would be so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Jayop wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking Katie, what options are there to you for primary teaching courses? My daughter is doing her Jr this year and she wants to do it but I hadn't thought the points would be so high.

If a student misses out on gaining direct entry to a primary teaching course straight after the leaving cert, they can do a degree in an area that interests them and then a post grad in primary teaching. So it's not the end if the required leaving cert points are not attained.

If a student misses out on gaining direct entry to a primary teaching course straight after the leaving cert, they can do a degree in an area that interests them and then a post grad in primary teaching. So it's not the end if the required leaving cert points are not attained.

Thanks for the reply!! I'd be hopeful that she'd get the points required but good to know there's a back up plan if not.

As far as I can see these are the only options for direct teaching course for primary, is that correct?

St. Patrick’s College, Drumcondra
    Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
    Froebel Department of Primary and Early Childhood Education at NUI Maynooth, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
    Colaiste Mhuire, Marino Institute of Education, Dublin
    Hibernia College, Dublin
    Church of Ireland College of Education, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If by 'direct' you mean straight after the leaving cert then I thought Hibernia was a post graduate course. Also, don't forget that as well as the points, higher level Irish is required

• Advertisement

If by 'direct' you mean straight after the leaving cert then I thought Hibernia was a post graduate course. Also, don't forget that as well as the points, higher level Irish is required

Yep the Irish is the biggest problem. I've never had an Irish class in my life and it tells with her. By a mile her weakest subject to but thankfully at Jr cert she's still on track at higher level.

Would you recommend it as a career? It's really the only thing she's ever wanted to do since she was about 8 or 9. I really admire that because I'm 35 and still have no calling but I'd worry about her being able to get a permanent job given I've heard there's more national school teachers than jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't recommend it as a career in Ireland. It has been steadily destroyed here over the past ten years.

Advertisement