Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zip File with a pass word

Options
  • 16-11-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭

So today I got a zip file with a document I'd requested by email from a company - can't have much of a go at them as I'd requested it. And if they'd sent it as plain text pdf I wouldn't have minded.

But they zip'd it up and pass word protected it with my account number, which is not supper secret. And they kindly told me that in the email.

So now; if any python head out there got it, they could easily brute force it. Then they have a file with minor personal info and my account number.

Got me thinking, my pay slip comes in a similar fashion but it's my PPS number, which they kindly tell me in the email. So now anybody who wanted it could easily run the same attack on it and get my PPS, and salary....

Wonderful world isn't it.

Advertisement