Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish television horse racing rights

Options
  • 16-11-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭

So, from 2017 onwards, UK horse races will move from Channel Four to ITV, automatically reducing the potential audience in the RoI. One presumes that an Irish FTA channel (almost certainly RTE) will secure the rights to Cheltenham and Aintree at a minimum, but it is surprising that a deal has yet to be finalised!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

You must remember that RTE never used Channel 4 pictures since the 'new' Channel 4 racing contract began. They have had a non-exclusive agreement to use Racing UK pictures which also have a deal with eir sport. RTE only ever show Cheltenham and the Grand National from this deal now and barely show any other UK racing during the year, which I can't see changing much so the only access to the big UK racing on EPG's on might be through Racing UK. Of course ITV will be receivable on FTA satellite but a big issue for cable customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I wonder will ITV4 Horse Racing be blocked on Virgin Media Ireland?

Some improvements lately namely some Darts and Snooker not blocked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's good to hear - when I had Virgin (or UPC as it then was) every last bit of sport was blocked. I'm surprised at the darts not being though as Eir Sport seems to carry a good chunk of ITV4's PDC coverage.

As regards horse racing, I suppose it must be remembered the unusual nature of these deals - they are non exclusive and coverage will be available to Irish viewers on basic cable At the Races and premium channel Racing UK (as mentioned above, Saturday afternoon cards are simulcast on Eir Sport). RTE only covers a handful of GB events now - I think Aintree and Cheltenham are the only ones left (a far cry from the Sports Stadium days when they had racing every Saturday).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TV3 have signed a contract with ITV to show racing, probably around 50 days a year.
    Sounds like they are just taking the entire programme, TV3 will have no studio team themselves.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nothing from TV3 on this

icdg wrote: »

You'd wonder why they choose 3e over their other HD channel be3??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    You'd wonder why they choose 3e over their other HD channel be3??

I would expect 3e to go HD on the pay platforms asap or else they may swap the HD from Be3 to 3e if that's possible.

Given the demographics they say they are aiming Be3 at, it seems pretty obvious that 3e will be where it will go. End of an era obviously with Cheltenham and Aintree leaving RTE, but it's clear RTE's heart hasn't been in showing GB racing since Sports Stadium ended really. It'd be great if 3e HD took over from UTV Ireland HD on pay platforms though I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

Anyway, TV3 finally issue their press release:

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/entertainment-news/226294/TV3-secures-4year-UK-Horseracing-Deal

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Given the demographics they say they are aiming Be3 at, it seems pretty obvious that 3e will be where it will go. End of an era obviously with Cheltenham and Aintree leaving RTE, but it's clear RTE's heart hasn't been in showing GB racing since Sports Stadium ended really. It'd be great if 3e HD took over from UTV Ireland HD on pay platforms though I wouldn't be holding my breath on it.

Anyway, TV3 finally issue their press release:

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/entertainment-news/226294/TV3-secures-4year-UK-Horseracing-Deal

You'd think that TV3 might invest in a sports website. Now I sure ICDG would never suggest that be3 demographic are not into to sport, next you'll suggest jockeys can't be women!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I can't see the point of TV3 getting it. All they are doing is showing what ITV are showing, just like the other ITV stuff they will be showing. Is it an Irish channel or not? They are relying on the UK as per usual to make quality programs and then pretend it is anything to do with TV3. Most of it will be in SD anyhow if 3e doesn't upgrade.

Just watch it on ITV in HD on freesat for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I can't see the point of TV3 getting it. All they are doing is showing what ITV are showing, just like the other ITV stuff they will be showing. Is it an Irish channel or not? They are relying on the UK as per usual to make quality programs and then pretend it is anything to do with TV3. Most of it will be in SD anyhow if 3e doesn't upgrade.

Just watch it on ITV in HD on freesat for free.

Got to remember not everyone has freesat, or even knows about freesat. There are also viewers which have Saorview and Virgin Media with no access to ITV.

TV3 will get decent ratings for Cheltenham and Ascot in the afternoons, and 3e too with some Saturday meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

iseegirls wrote: »
    Got to remember not everyone has freesat, or even knows about freesat. There are also viewers which have Saorview and Virgin Media with no access to ITV.

TV3 will get decent ratings for Cheltenham and Ascot in the afternoons, and 3e too with some Saturday meetings.

I know, that's the problem and the only reason TV3 and the like exist. Keeping the public in the dark is what TV3 ( and Virgin) want.

iseegirls wrote: »

It will be interesting to see. I think the probably pay enough for the audience that they will get, but the audience will be small, it's a niche sport.

Advertisement