Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to spend on Ukulele?

Options
  • 16-11-2016 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My 14 year old is after a ukulele for Christmas. She started guitar but wasn't too keen and then tried her friends ukulele and loves it. She plays it whenever she comes over and also plays in school and at her music group.
    She's starting a ukulele class in the new year. So she definitely has an interest in it and has done for about a year.

So I want something that's decent but at the same time, not too expensive.

The price range is so vast and I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between a 20e uke, a 70, a 100 or 200 etc.

I'm not musical at all so really am clueless.

Essentially what I need to know is what I should be aiming to spend for a soprano uke which will get a fair bit of use but also a fair bit of being messed with so not something crap but not something that I'll go mad if it gets a bit of a scuff on it.

I'm thinking about 70-100 should be ok?
    Any brand recommendations or other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Under 50 you're really in the toy/firewood category. Over 50 you'll get a reasonable Soprano that should be fine for starting out. Once you go higher you're getting better woods, better tuners, and so on up to something beautifully made and gorgeous.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have wanted a Ukulele for a good while, and just never took the plunge.

After playing a lot in the 100€ range I found the following to be very good. It's a concert ukulele so it's slightly larger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-UKC10-Concert-Ukulele-Natural/dp/B0076FOTY0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479466157&sr=8-5&keywords=ibanez+ukulele

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

ash23 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about 70-100 should be ok?
    Any brand recommendations or other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

For a starter uke, you'll get a fantastic one for that price. I would tend to steer clear of Mahalo as these are generally the cheaper end of the market.

I would recommend getting aquila strings, if the uke doesn't have them already. I find them fantastic, rarely go out of tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Lidl are doing Ukulele's for €17.99 they look ok. I'm keen to start learning to play & was wondering if they were worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Lidl are doing Ukulele's for 17.99 they look ok. I'm keen to start learning to play & was wondering if they were worth it?

Most garages sell kindling wood for a few Euro ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Can you tune a Uke off a guitar ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

greenspurs wrote: »
    Can you tune a Uke off a guitar ?

Uke is tuned GCEA which corresponds to the fifth fret of a guitar except that G on the uke is an octave higher.

Go and get cleartune from the Google app store, best couple of euro you will ever spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hoagy wrote: »
    Uke is tuned GCEA which corresponds to the fifth fret of a guitar except that G on the uke is an octave higher.

Go and get cleartune from the Google app store, best couple of euro you will ever spend.

The BOSS TU-3 app is free and excellent for tuning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

That boss app is one of the better tuner apps I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

You'll usually find a load of multicoloured ukes around €30 and then they jump to about €80/90. It's definitely worth the jump - the sound will be much better, esp as you'll get some with solid wood tops at that price (the cheap ones are made of laminates and sound doesn't resonate as much). I & several of my friends got the Laka VUS50, which was about €85 a couple years ago with a built-in tuner. Great starter ukes if you can get them - good sound and they hold their tuning well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just want to say that I bought one of the 20-30euro mahalo ukuleles last year and having many years of guitar experience I quickly "grew out of it". They aren't great tbh. Its a struggle to get non-basic chords to sound good on it imho.
    Fine for messing around but just know their limitations.

Advertisement