Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimmer's ear .... ouch!

Options
  • 16-11-2016 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

I've recently joined a masters club as some of you know (thanks for replies in other threads) I've had 2 bouts of swimmer's ear in the past 6 weeks and it apart form being painful has made me miss 2 weeks of training combined.
    I have started wearing the Zoggs earplugs, they help but didn't prevent the 2nd bout.
    I know that because of getting used to the workload of training that my body is probably prone to infection after a hard session so hopefully with increasing fitness this will sort itself out.
    Has anyone experienced Swimmer's Ear and can you recommend an earplug that works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I've always avoided ear plugs and never have only had 'swimmers ear' a handful of times in almost 48 years.

I would recommend getting the water out of your ears after swimming. There are also drops for your ears that help. You can even make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

You can get special molded ear plugs made, afaik they might be around 60-120 a pair.

http://www.hearing.ie/protection_swimmers_surfers.html

Maybe give this place a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭CarrieDzzz

Hey,

I have spent so much money between doctors and prescriptions, its not even funny. I have tried various ear plugs and firstly, I don't like wearing them and secondly I haven't found a pair that stop the water completely. I usually end up with water that gets warm trapped in there, and its a horrible feeling. I started using swimseal drops last May and so far I haven't had any issues since. I swim 3 times a week.

I got them on ProSwimwear but they don't seem to stock them anymore. Boots also sell them but a little bit more expensive or you can get them on Amazon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Like CarrieDzzz I have started using drops in the past year - I had a bout of swimmer's ear last summer, and it is horrible! I have been using Earol Swim drops which work mostly well - might try SwimSeal next to compare.

Advertisement