Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energenie

Options
  • 16-11-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Anyone have any experience with these ?

Good value starter bundle for £69.99 on amazon with the hub, 3 sockets and a hand remote

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Im using them across the house but no the remote control.
    I have these plugs like HERE that have remote control AND monitoring capability.

More info HERE.

Switch on / off is almost instant.
    Cant fault them,does the job,tough i will like to have consumption reports spread over a longer period of time.

As with all these devices,please setup a proper email address and a good pasword unless you want someone else cotrolling your home !

Enjoy IoT !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

rolion wrote:
    Im using them across the house but no the remote control. I have these plugs like

They have a nice white twin socket too. I'm not a fan of the bulky inline units out in the open. These guys are one of the few producing a decent UK twin socket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Cheers, I see that it doesn't have any skills for alexa yet but it was announced that it was coming

Anyone heard anything else, Google is not my friend today !!! :pac:

Stoner wrote: »
    They have a nice white twin socket too. I'm not a fan of the bulky inline units out in the open. These guys are one of the few producing a decent UK twin socket

Yes,correct... but i think they are only control and not reporting as well.
    My wall sockets all having usb chargers built-in...not planing to change it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

rolion wrote: »
    Yes,correct... but i think they are only control and not reporting as well.
    My wall sockets all having usb chargers built-in...not planing to change it soon.

They look like good value compared to some others.... but do you not think its a bit clunky having these plug sockets sticking out of each socket you want to monitor?

• Advertisement

jobless wrote: »
    They look like good value compared to some others.... but do you not think its a bit clunky having these plug sockets sticking out of each socket you want to monitor?

The 3 in the pack I am getting will be hidden away so no issue there

Anything visible I will use the wall plates

jobless wrote: »

My plugs !?
    No,not really,i will say they are acceptable.
    The one below,in the kitchen away corner,doing some appliances, will be the most visible.

401685.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

jobless wrote:

They are ugly alright.

But they have their place and these monitor too.

They are idea for behind the TV save you killing yourself unplugging at night. Every night

I've the lightwaverf black ones I think they look better but I'd get them too.

Thing about lightwaverf and these is that they have reasonably priced options . In both cases you can get three inline units for a very reasonable price. And behind the TV or Christmas lights etc you won't see them.

All that said op I've a bulky unit in my kitchen too on the slow cooker.

One thing to note and I know I keep banging on about it but only so much of this is useful. Although I have some fixed sockets these little inline units are very flexible.

There's certain things I can do with a fixed sockets, but it's limiting too. Sometimes you end up doing things for the sake of it.

A packet of three of these is really going to nail 60 percent of most people's needs imo. I've been given some kit for free recently I'm struggling to work some of it into my house.

Lots of it is gimmicky
    I like the idea of having a coffee ready in the morning.

A slow cooked dinner cooking away while I'm at work

Auto lights, gate automation, immersion heating etc
    After that you are doing things for the sake of it

But these types of units are great , cheap easy to install and a great intro into home automation. You'll sell them too if you don't like them.

Key things use them for simple things you frequently, a timed light , turn off the TV can etc

Only use them for infrequent options when it's a difficult task

For example if your router is in the attic, resetting it is a great use even of its not used much. Note when you need to reset the router it usually needs to be done a few times.

Just got comfirmation that Energenie / Alexa integration went live this morning :)

Just got comfirmation that Energenie / Alexa integration went live this morning

I note to that they have a state aware contact.

I'd be confident enough that this could be used or switches on when the alarm sounds and it could be used to turn things on and off

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I note to that they have a state aware contact.

I'd be confident enough that this could be used or switches on when the alarm sounds and it could be used to turn things on and off

Whats that mean :)

They have a door contact , knows it's open or closed.

So if you wire the correct terminals from an alarm panel into it it would change the state of the contact, so I believe that possibly you can use the door contact as a trigger . So if your alarm goes off, turn on something like a lamp of a light fitting. I'm guessing but it's very possible. Unless the contact only pairs with TVRs

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

Interested in the energenie light switches, from what I understand they will work in switches with no neutral wire. When the unit is programmed, is the data stored in the unit itself or in the cloud? Interested in whether a constant internet connection is needed for these to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Can anyone tell me if I could use this relay in tandem with my current heating manual controls to remotely switch on one zone of my heating? IE - can i connect it in parallel with the existing wired thermostat to actuate the motorised valve which in turn tells the boiler to come on?

https://energenie4u.co.uk/res/pdfs/MIHO014%20user%20guide.pdf

also posted in the other energenie thread - so mods feel free to delete if inappropriate.

Advertisement