Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are online communities real communities?

Options
  • 15-11-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys, doing an assignment and would love your opinion. Any information about your online community experience would be extremely helpful. I am interested in what you think but even a "yes" or "no" would suffice. Thanks in advance.

Are online communities real communities? 10 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    40% 4 votes
    Undecided
    60% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yes of course online communities are real communities.
    At the core of the issue here, you need to investigate the idea of community.
    A commonly accepted definition is "A group of organisms or populations living and interacting with one another in a particular environment." While traditionally this mean people literally living in the same space, the Internet has expanded that definition.

Going from there, I guess you should define what an online community is. Again, here's a common definition: "An online community is a group of people with common interests who use the Internet (web sites, email, instant messaging, etc) to communicate, work together and pursue their interests over time."

Already you can start drawing parallels between online and offline communities - the key connection here is communication. The main differences you need to investigate with online communities are the concept of anonymity and how that contributes/detracts from the community and the fact that their global availability can lead to a lack of variety in the community (potentially leading to echo chambers and the like).

That should give you a good start at least. Do you think that online communities are real communities?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Online communities are redefining communities

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Hey, thanks for the replies.

That's interesting. How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the sense that communities used to mean people together in groups in real life.
    Community school, community centre, etc...

With the advent of the internet a community is "redefined" to mean groups with shared interests but can be spread over the globe.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    In the sense that communities used to mean people together in groups in real life.
    Community school, community centre, etc...

With the advent of the internet a community is "redefined" to mean groups with shared interests but can be spread over the globe.

Hey,

thanks for replying, that was very interesting.

Yes of course online communities are real communities.
    At the core of the issue here, you need to investigate the idea of community.
    A commonly accepted definition is "A group of organisms or populations living and interacting with one another in a particular environment." While traditionally this mean people literally living in the same space, the Internet has expanded that definition.

Going from there, I guess you should define what an online community is. Again, here's a common definition: "An online community is a group of people with common interests who use the Internet (web sites, email, instant messaging, etc) to communicate, work together and pursue their interests over time."

Already you can start drawing parallels between online and offline communities - the key connection here is communication. The main differences you need to investigate with online communities are the concept of anonymity and how that contributes/detracts from the community and the fact that their global availability can lead to a lack of variety in the community (potentially leading to echo chambers and the like).

That should give you a good start at least. Do you think that online communities are real communities?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. To answer your question, I do think that online communities are real communities. The internet has been a valuable source of social interaction at times in my life when I had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Charity2020

Online communities are definitely communities - in the modern sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're real - in the same sense that imaginary numbers are real.

They're real - in the same sense that imaginary numbers are real.

Ah well, we're getting in to philosophical territory now, it's quite an interesting area.

• Advertisement

Oh, I didn't notice the poll. I didn't even know you could do that. Thanks very much for setting it up.

Advertisement