Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College and presentations

Options
  • 15-11-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Planning to go to college but I am extremely anxious about presentations and simply will not do them. Is there any courses I can do that doesn't involve presentations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

James1999 wrote: »
    Planning to go to college but I am extremely anxious about presentations and simply will not do them. Is there any courses I can do that doesn't involve presentations?

In alot of courses you won't have a choice but to do them. I'm in 3rd year now, and I was extremely nervous in first year at the thought of presenting. But after 2/3 you will be more confident and they won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 James1999

In alot of courses you won't have a choic, but to do them. I'm in 3rd year now, and I was extremely nervous in first year at the thought of presenting. But after 2/3 you will be more confident and they won't be an issue.
    Thanks for the reply, Is there any way of getting out of them by talking to your professor or whatever? I've no idea what way the system works

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lhxsjco

Most maths/science courses wont contain many presentations, particularly in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

James1999 wrote: »

I think you have to be realistic about this. While I can appreciate that standing up in front of people is nerve-wrecking (and I'm speaking as somebody who only recently had to stand up in front of 1000 people and give a speech), it is a fact of academic life and something you will have to learn to cope with.

Most, if not all, colleges/universities now make mandatory "Learning to learn" or something like that where you will learn how to deal with a range of issues such as academic writing, study skills, presentations and so on.

If you are putting up barriers before you have even commenced a programme, you may as well forget about it as it will consume you and greatly reduce your chances of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 James1999

Now a qualified civil engineer after achieving a 1.1 in a level 8 degree working my way towards site agent currently.

Sometimes the barriers are not something you can just put down.

Still a huge problem to this day. Unfortunately even after around 10 presentations during the degree it has never eased the nerves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement