Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Over 23's Late Bar Everynight Opening John Street

Options
  • 15-11-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

gfggg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any good entertainment going on in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good news about the new place, like the sound of a late bar 7 nights a week

Will Shortts be open as normal Mon-thurs or are they trying to move there mid week business into this new place???

Aslan are playing Project Waterford (Crystal niteclub aka Shortts upstairs) on the 16th Dec

The woodman used to be a late bar 5 days a week but its only a late bar Friday and Saturdays now and opens late the odd bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yeah it should be good alright! everywhere closes around 12 or earlier on a midweek night does it? hopefully this place'll be buzzing, apparently it seats around 80 for dinner!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I past by the old dignity bar today and see they are starting to clear it out, anyone any idea if there's something going on there?

^^^ Yeah there seems to be 'something' going on the last while, dunno if anythings set in stone but heard rumours of a restaurant. don't have a clue though, hopefully.

• Advertisement

And no, im pretty sure Shortts are staying the same

The Mansion is also opening back up very soon

Bar the odd Monday/Wednesday and Friday/Saturdays, Waterford city nightlife really needs a lift

December is a busy month for pubs with Xmas partys and all that but can be quite around this time of year and in Jan/early Feb

Is that Weatherspoons in Arundel Square still opening ???

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Mansion is also opening back up very soon

Bar the odd Monday/Wednesday and Friday/Saturdays, Waterford city nightlife really needs a lift

December is a busy month for pubs with Xmas partys and all that but can be quite around this time of year and in Jan/early Feb

Is that Weatherspoons in Arundel Square still opening ???

Planning decision due at the end of the month for wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Will people support these city centre pubs, not great history of it here,yet locals in suburbs and up town can be busy....will only be good if people make effort....from a lot of posts on here,far easier to whine about something else than support the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Sounds like a Kavanagh Venture including food/over23s/ and a late night venue.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote:
    Will people support these city centre pubs, not great history of it here,yet locals in suburbs and up town can be busy....will only be good if people make effort....from a lot of posts on here,far easier to whine about something else than support the city.

Very good point alright, but I'd say I probably won't be setting foot in it, just not my thing. I wish them the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭iseegirls

fusion cuisine

What kind of food is this?

iseegirls wrote:
    What kind of food is this?

Everythings melted together maybe? Now I'm interested!

Max Powers wrote: »

People have been going to there locals in there area religiously for years and will continue too do so, always more comfortable to drink in familiar surroundings. The town is for the younger crowd and some places are quite let's say rough (Masons)

This new place on john street may put a dent in other food places like Revs, Kazbar, Geoff's, Burazza etc

Yeah fusion cuisine so a mix of everything apparently, tapas aswell not necessarily spanish so stuff like wings, little bits.

People have been going to there locals in there area religiously for years and will continue too do so, always more comfortable to drink in familiar surroundings. The town is for the younger crowd and some places are quite let's say rough (Masons)

This new place on john street may put a dent in other food places like Revs, Kazbar, Geoff's, Burazza etc

How young we talking because I disagree, I'm not young and i always drink in town in an effort to support city centre,I wouldn't classify likes of geoffs,phillys,tullys,reg, etc younger crowd.I hear a lot of whining about city centre pubs from peers or lads who rarely leave local and support city centre.

This place will be strictly over 23's at least so no really young crowd, like Sinnotts I suppose

Max Powers wrote: »
    How young we talking because I disagree, I'm not young and i always drink in town in an effort to support city centre,I wouldn't classify likes of geoffs,phillys,tullys,reg, etc younger crowd.I hear a lot of whining about city centre pubs from peers or lads who rarely leave local and support city centre.

16-mid 30's age group tend to drink in town more often but other ages do too

I tend to drink in Tullys, Grimes and the gingerman, love the quiteness there but sometimes they can be a bit too quite, all depends where people live too. Im from the Mayors Walk area and city centre pubs are better for me cause there walking distance. I think we actually had a Waterford forum beers in a few city centre pubs a couple of years ago

16-mid 30's age group tend to drink in town more often but other ages do too

I tend to drink in Tullys, Grimes and the gingerman, love the quiteness there but sometimes they can be a bit too quite, all depends where people live too. Im from the Mayors Walk area and city centre pubs are better for me cause there walking distance. I think we actually had a Waterford forum beers in a few city centre pubs a couple of years ago

yeah good pubs, it would be easier for me to stay out in dunmore road pubs but i make effort to get into city centre , most lads I know just couldn't be arsed going into city centre but are quick to whine about the place and when they do go in, same pub or 2 every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was down around John's Street junction area a few weeks back having not been there for some time, I was shocked to see how run down it looked.

I presume the likes of Mason's is closed, what about Peig's and The Foundry?

While it's great to see a new pub opening, I wonder if some of the bigger units should be converted into retail or commercial space?

• Advertisement

Fortunately there is a big investment going on around Johns Street and all throughout town, as you can see Johns St all the road is dragged up at this stage and big construction going on. this is costing 17 million
    There is a glass canopy going over the apple market. apparently being made into a public art cultural space or similar.

The brasserie and all surrounding units are completely demolished which I was shocked to see.
    Good for the city though, making room for large, popular retailers to plant themselves down.

There is a list of the areas that are being completely refurbished and developed somewhere online, beat 102 103 or similar, everything is hoped to be finished by 2018!

Lots to look forward to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Shocked at the lack knowledge of what's happening in our city tbh. The changes that dartboardio is talking about have been out over a year at this stage. They're on the front page of the Waterford Today this week but have been The munster and news and star for months now. hardybuck says that Masons is closed...no it aint!

Does nobody leave their house anymore?! I'm a Tipperary man and I seem to know more about what's going on than most of you (with the exception of Max Powers by the looks of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Shocked at the lack knowledge of what's happening in our city tbh. The changes that dartboardio is talking about have been out over a year at this stage. They're on the front page of the Waterford Today this week but have been The munster and news and star for months now. hardybuck says that Masons is closed...no it aint!

Does nobody leave their house anymore?! I'm a Tipperary man and I seem to know more about what's going on than most of you (with the exception of Max Powers by the looks of it)

In fairness I don't live in Waterford anymore, and I'm actually shocked to hear Mason's is open by the condition of the exterior!

If I was having a few pints in Waterford I would stay put in the likes of the Uluru or the Cove, maybe the Three Ships or the Munster if I was in town after a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

hardybuck wrote: »
    In fairness I don't live in Waterford anymore, and I'm actually shocked to hear Mason's is open by the condition of the exterior!

If I was having a few pints in Waterford I would stay put in the likes of the Uluru or the Cove, maybe the Three Ships or the Munster if I was in town after a meal.

That's okay, I didn't mean any offence.

The city centre is hurting but is slowly but surely crawling back. It needs the people from the Dunmore Road to come back in again. I met a friend of mine who lives out in Ballinakill, for a drink in town. They were shocked to see A Wear gone. How long ago is that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I cannot understand the pull of the suburban bar, is it just convenience? I was in the Cove recently; zero atmosphere, just a food joint dressed up as a bar. What a depressing slice of suburbia.

In contrast, the city centre has lovely bars; Tully's, Mahers, Jordan's, Geoffs, Davy Macs, Philly's...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Masons looks as bad as a halting site alright. Maybe that explains the clientele in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I past by the old dignity bar today and see they are starting to clear it out, anyone any idea if there's something going on there?
    it was granted planning for a restaurant

Advertisement