Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 307 overheating?

Options
  • 15-11-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey,

Apologies if this isn't the right place to be posting this.
    I have a '06 Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol. It's been causing me a good bit of hassle since I got it earlier this year. The latest problem is when I'm stopped in traffic or at lights, the temperature gauge begins to climb up. When I start moving again, it returns to normal (which is just before 90). The fan appears to kick in after it goes above 90 because I can hear it yet the gauge continues to rise.
    This started happening only last week. Yesterday morning, I drove into work and watched the gauge rise every now and then but it continued to go back down. When I parked, I left the engine running. Within about 30 seconds, the STOP light flashed and the gauge had shot up into the red. I immediately switched off the engine.
    It's probably worth noting too that on most occasions when I switch off the engine now, it appears to be cooling down for about 10 minutes.
    I brought the car to my mechanic yesterday and his best solution was to just turn off my engine in traffic which isn't a solution in my eyes (I probably need a new mechanic). He did say to drop it back to him if it continues so I will later this week.
    I'm not any good with cars so if anyone could offer any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Even if you suggest getting rid of it which I'm contemplating at this point.
    Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What is the coolant level like? I'd also bring it to another mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sean_ius

What is the coolant level like? I'd also bring it to another mechanic.
    Sorry should've said this. Coolant level is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Faulty thermostat quite possible or coolant blockage or electric issue.

These cars can be quite troublesome.

Faulty thermostat quite possible or coolant blockage or electric issue.

These cars can be quite troublesome.
    Yeah, it's one thing after the other with it. Had to buy it as I was stuck. Can't help but wonder if it'd be cheaper for me to try and get rid of it and get something else at this point. Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sean_ius wrote: »
    Yeah, it's one thing after the other with it. Had to buy it as I was stuck. Can't help but wonder if it'd be cheaper for me to try and get rid of it and get something else at this point. Thanks for your reply!
    As a previous owner of a 307 (9 months,8 times in the garage,still not right) I would say that you might think of moving it on.In my experience,this problem will be replaced in short order by the next one,and the next .......

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    As a previous owner of a 307 (9 months,8 times in the garage,still not right) I would say that you might think of moving it on.In my experience,this problem will be replaced in short order by the next one,and the next .......
    Oh God, that's dreadful! I went reading a lot of stuff and head gasket was mentioned a few times and that has me worried since that what got my last car. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The grim

Hi OK its a possess
    1, car gets hot when in traffic . so let car sit in ur drive and wait to see will the fan on the rad come on should come in on or about halfway on ur gauge , you should hear it kick in . if not then that's ur problem..
    2. If above fan works then I'd say a faulty thermostat . go to garage get one fitted
    One or both should sort ur issues if not then its possibly a head gasket or worse .
    Gud luck with it

The grim wrote: »
    Hi OK its a possess
    1, car gets hot when in traffic . so let car sit in ur drive and wait to see will the fan on the rad come on should come in on or about halfway on ur gauge , you should hear it kick in . if not then that's ur problem..
    2. If above fan works then I'd say a faulty thermostat . go to garage get one fitted
    One or both should sort ur issues if not then its possibly a head gasket or worse .
    Gud luck with it
    Thanks for your reply! It seems that the fan is kicking in once the gauge goes over 90 which will keep the gauge around that point for a time. If I'm still stationary for a time, the gauge will eventually reach the red.
    But even when I see the gauge going up, sometimes if I just clutch up to the biting point (with the car not even moving), the gauge will start to go back down. This seems like an issue with the thermostat if that's the case.
    Will get it sorted this weekend hopefully. I really hope it's nothing to do with the head gasket, I don't even have the car 10 months!
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

Water pump? sounds to me like a damaged impeller. Not moving enough water around to shift the heat untill the engine is up in the revs.

You could try taking off the return line to the expansion tank. see if you are getting water flowing at idle. Are you getting heat in the cabin?

Thought I'd add an update to this incase anyone comes across the post researching the problem. It was annoyingly the head gasket. Had to get it replaced. €500 which wasn't nice but I believe it could've cost a lot more? Anyway, the car is going (for now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I share your pain , I bought its cousin , the Citroen c4 1.4 petrol over a year ago and head had gone, I was lucky I got car cheap.
    I paid 670 for mine , touch wood and over year later she's driving great and no more issues.

Belt/ waterpump/ head was changed on mine

Advertisement