Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council registration and lecturing

Options
  • 15-11-2016 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can advise me on registering with the teaching council via the Route 3- Further Education?
    I have level 8 and 9 qualifications in Science but no qualification in teacher education but do have 5-6 years experience lecturing at third level...mainly students training to be biology teachers! I am now exploring the possibilities of going into 2nd level teaching and assumed I would need to acquire a qualification in teacher education to become registered with the Teaching Council
    I spoke to someone at the teaching council today and briefly outlined my background.
    They advised me to apply for TC registration via Route 3 (Further Education)....the application is quite straight forward but I'm still unclear from the information on their web-site if I do still need an education qualification?
    Has anyone else applied through this route...any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

nanty1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can advise me on registering with the teaching council via the Route 3- Further Education?
    I have level 8 and 9 qualifications in Science but no qualification in teacher education but do have 5-6 years experience lecturing at third level...mainly students training to be biology teachers! I am now exploring the possibilities of going into 2nd level teaching and assumed I would need to acquire a qualification in teacher education to become registered with the Teaching Council
    I spoke to someone at the teaching council today and briefly outlined my background.
    They advised me to apply for TC registration via Route 3 (Further Education)....the application is quite straight forward but I'm still unclear from the information on their web-site if I do still need an education qualification?
    Has anyone else applied through this route...any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Apply for it if they tell you to. Loads of pme students do it to get subbing work during teaching practice. Once you have the number you can teach in further ed or post primary. In the long run you could apply to hibernia or DCU and do it part time because you'll be up against candidates who have the post primary qualification when it comes to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

It would appear that since 1st April 2013 a teacher education qualification is mandatory.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Teacher-Education/Further-Education-General-and-Programme-Requirements-for-the-Accreditation-of-Teacher-Education-Qualifications.pdf

Qualification Requirements for Registration
    The following qualification requirements will apply to applicants wishing to
    register under Regulation Five as a teacher in further education sector after
    1 April 2013:
    The applicant must hold a primary degree or equivalent (not less
    than level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)
    carrying at least 180 ECTS credits,
    AND
    a teacher education qualification approved by the Council for
    post-primary teaching (First Year to Sixth Year) or an accredited
    further education teacher education qualification,

OR

An ordinary degree or equivalent (not less than level 7 on the NFQ)
    carrying at least 180 ECTS credits,
    PLUS
    i)
    an appropriate additional qualification, or
    ii)
    certified accreditation of prior learning based on a minimum
    of three years’ experience in a workplace or instructional
    setting which is relevant to the candidate’s qualifications such
    as may be recognised by The Teaching Council as suitable for
    the purpose of registration as a teacher under this regulation
    which meets such requirements as the Teaching Council may
    publish from time to time,
    AND
    iii)
    a teacher education qualification approved by the Council
    for post-primary teaching (First Year to Sixth Year) or an
    accredited further education teacher education qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nanty1

Thank you for that.
    That does clearly spell it out!
    However I have spoken on the phone to 2 different people at the TC...both gave me slightly different responses but indicated that I should apply.
    One said that because I had completed my primary degree before 2008 (i think) I was exempt from current requirements....has anyone else come across this?
    I will apply anyway and let you know how I get on:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ngoc

Hi Nanty, have you managed to register with TC? I'm in the same boat now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

You do not have to have a teaching qualification to register with the teaching council via route 3. Once you have your degree you can register with the condition that you need to obtain a teaching qualification within 3 years. I'd you don't have a qualification withing those 3 years they will not renew your registration. I got my number a couple if months ago with just my degree information, no teaching qualification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement