Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest turns on in the middle of the night

Options
  • 14-11-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if this happens anyone else? It comes on every couple of hours and warms up the house. It's driving me crazy so I've taken to switching it off before I go to bed and back on when I get up in the morning, which seems to defeat the purpose.

During the day it turns on for random amounts of time - one day it was on for seven and a half hours. The next day it was three hours. I've had it in learning mode since it was installed - should I turn this off?

Many Thanks.

Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

remoteboy wrote: »
    Just wondering if this happens anyone else?

Yup. Drove us nuts.

Do you have it on a schedule or is it 'learning' your routine?

How long have you had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Is that not what it is suppose to do? It sees temp dropping and turns heating on to compensate. Otherwise a 10 quid thermostat and cheap timeclock would suit better.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Is that not what it is suppose to do? It sees temp dropping and turns heating on to compensate. Otherwise a 10 quid thermostat and cheap timeclock would suit better.

Not so useful when it decides to heat the house to tropical conditions in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Graham wrote: »
    Not so useful when it decides to heat the house to tropical conditions in the middle of the night.

Surely it can only heat to the user set temperature or else it's faulty.

Surely it can only heat to the user set temperature or else it's faulty.

It 'learns' your preferences and sets schedule and temperature accordingly.

Our experience was it was just not very good at it, We nicknamed it the random heating feature.

Gave up on the 'learning' after a month or two and now just use the schedule with geo-location to switch off when we're out.

• Advertisement

I know, but I don't see how it can set "tropical conditions" if you never asked it for high temperatures.

I know, but I don't see how it can set "tropical conditions" if you never asked it for high temperatures.

It's fairly tropical when your tucked under a thick duvet in the middle of a winters night and Nest suddenly decides you probably want the house heated to evening room temperature. :D

It's fairly tropical when your tucked under a thick duvet in the middle of a winters night and Nest suddenly decides you probably want the house heated to evening room temperature. :D

Have you set it on a few occasions to a low temperature before you go to bed, then it should learn that, and not revert to an "evening temperature"

Have you set it on a few occasions to a low temperature before you go to bed, then it should learn that, and not revert to an "evening temperature"

Absolutely, it should. No argument from me at all.

Absolutely, it should. No argument from me at all.

Your one must have been at the back of the classs :D

Never had any issue with mine apart from one time it "divorced" itself from the sender unit, and fought bravely to remain uncoupled despite my efforts.

• Advertisement

Your one must have been at the back of the classs :D

Never had any issue with mine apart from one time it "divorced" itself from the sender unit, and fought bravely to remain uncoupled despite my efforts.

Ours does appear to be particularly thick although in fairness I think the latest generation has improved significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ours does appear to be particularly thick although in fairness I think the latest generation has improved significantly.

Do you corrrect it? Go into the app and go to schedule, then turn down the temp that it has set.

A kid won't learn if hus mistakes are not corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't define a temperature for it to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Gave up on the 'learning' after a month or two and now just use the schedule with geo-location to switch off when we're out.

Just a question on this

We have ours about a month and a half now, generally happy enough with it

It is probably still in learning mode but I have noticed that if we are away and the schedule says for the heat to come on that it sticks to the schedule

I was under the impression that the away feature would prevent the house from heating up when we weren't there?

Would I need to do something more specific in settings?

Just a question on this

It is probably still in learning mode but I have noticed that if we are away and the schedule says for the heat to come on that it sticks to the schedule

I was under the impression that the away feature would prevent the house from heating up when we weren't there?

Do you have location services turned on, on your phone?
    Have other people in your house got the app on their phone and do they have location services on?

If the nest can't determine your life location it can't set away mode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

DO these things have a setback temperature e.g. a minimum that your house shouldn't drop below to prevent condensation?

ted1 wrote: »
    Have other people in your house got the app on their phone and do they have location services on?

There are two of us in the house and we both have location services on, the Nest picks us up as being away correctly when we leave the house in the morning

We have the schedule set for around when we would normally egt home from work but on evenings when we are out and the Nest has us set to away the heat still kicks in as per the schedule
    Dardania wrote: »
    DO these things have a setback temperature e.g. a minimum that your house shouldn't drop below to prevent condensation?

Yup you can set a minimum temp for when you are away

Just a question on this

In our experience, since the Nest mobile App was enabled as a home/away detector it is reliable at detecting when we're out and switching the heating off.

In our experience, since the Nest mobile App was enabled as a home/away detector it is reliable at detecting when we're out and switching the heating off.

Weird, this does not ever appeared to have worked properly for us and everything looks to be set up correctly

I will try turning the learning off as we don't really need that and see if it then works correctly with home/away
    Failing that I will spend some time going through the various set up options and see if that makes a difference

Weird, this does not ever appeared to have worked properly for us and everything looks to be set up correctly

I will try turning the learning off as we don't really need that and see if it then works correctly with home/away
    Failing that I will spend some time going through the various set up options and see if that makes a difference
    If you check the history you'll se where it sets auto away, you know that as you are on your way home it'll turn on so that it's ready when you arrive , might that be happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

There are two of us in the house and we both have location services on, the Nest picks us up as being away correctly when we leave the house in the morning

We have the schedule set for around when we would normally egt home from work but on evenings when we are out and the Nest has us set to away the heat still kicks in as per the schedule

Yup you can set a minimum temp for when you are away

Well then maybe this is causing the sporadic firing up.
    I'd tend to be happy for that to happen - dampness in the house is bad. My own house has a simpler non IOT programmer, and I have the setback temp at 17C

For OP, presuming you're happy with handing control to the Nest, two things to consider

1. You could fit TRVs in the likes of bedrooms where you would want a lower average temp compared to rest of house

2. You could lower the output temp of water from the boiler a bit - allow it run longer rather than a blast of heat. Might result in more consistent control (and temps)

I'd tend to be happy for that to happen - dampness in the house is bad. My own house has a simpler non IOT programmer, and I have the setback temp at 17C

For OP, presuming you're happy with handing control to the Nest, two things to consider

1. You could fit TRVs in the likes of bedrooms where you would want a lower average temp compared to rest of house

2. You could lower the output temp of water from the boiler a bit - allow it run longer rather than a blast of heat. Might result in more consistent control (and temps)

17 degrees is very high. I've mine set for 8 degrees. 17 is way above dew point

17 degrees is very high. I've mine set for 8 degrees. 17 is way above dew point

Ours is set to 14 degrees. In this weather if we set it to anything like 8 degrees the house would take a fortnight to get back up to temperature.

If you check the history you'll se where it sets auto away, you know that as you are on your way home it'll turn on so that it's ready when you arrive , might that be happening?

I know that is what it is supposed to do but from the history it isn't doing that
    it is heating up at the scheduled times even when we are away

I have also checked in on it when we aren't there and the heat is scheduled to see if it is on or now and even though we are not there and were flagged as away it comes on

It is annoying as that sort of feature is the main selling point, maybe a factory reset or something is in order
    Ours is set to 14 degrees. In this weather if we set it to anything like 8 degrees the house would take a fortnight to get back up to temperature.

In relation to the 2 quotes above, we have it set to kick in around 9 degrees when away but to be honest I don't think I have seen the house measure much below 14-15 degrees in daytime so i don't think this is the issue

It isn't coming on sporadically but at scheduled times but as we are away it shouldn't be on
    Currently not a major problem as we are usually home but the odd night during a week we wouldn't be there and it seems pointless to have the place heating up when the Nest is supposed to prevent this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Yup. Drove us nuts.

Do you have it on a schedule or is it 'learning' your routine?

How long have you had it?

It's still in learning mode. We've had it about a month. It seems to have 'learnt' that the house should be 19.5 degrees at all times. I keep lowering it to 18.5 but it won't take the hint.

I've started playing with the app settings to see what effect they have. There's a setting for True Radiant which seems to dictate how long the heating should preheat for. It was set to a default of 5 hours. I've set it to zero to see if that helps.

Advertisement