Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level or pass for leaving cert

Options
  • 14-11-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Am currently doing all honours and pass irish in early fifth year, will probably stick with hl maths for extra points but how does pass english affect college choices or does it ? Hate english and my teacher( they both hate me back)
    Dont even know what i want to do after school such a tough choice how did ye know what ye wAnted to do ?
    Kinda want to goto college for the craic and make some new friends
    Any help past experiences much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Meehall123 wrote: »
    Am currently doing all honours and pass irish in early fifth year, will probably stick with hl maths for extra points but how does pass english affect college choices or does it ? Hate english and my teacher( they both hate me back)

Could you ask to move to a different English class? Tbh, I don't think higher level English is a requirement for many courses. I think it's just for things like Journalism, Media and English courses, but I'm assuming you wouldn't want to do them anyways if you hate English that much.

Pointswise though, can you afford to have two pass subjects? I know you said you're going to stick with honours maths for now, but you might feel differently about that by the time the leaving cert comes around as many people do. Will you regret dropping English then?
    Dont even know what i want to do after school such a tough choice how did ye know what ye wAnted to do ?

Really only you can answer that. What kind of career would you like to see yourself in? What stuff are you good at? What's your favourite subject in school? Asking yourself questions like that can help point you in the direction of some sort of college course.
    Kinda want to goto college for the craic and make some new friends
    Any help past experiences much appreciated

While I'm sure college is full of craic and new friends, this might not be the best reason to go :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How many subjects have you altogether?

As Bazinga said, HL English wouldn't be a specific requirement for many courses, but if you're in 5th year it's quite early to be making a final decision to drop levels.

What, specifically, is it about English you find difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Meehall123

Ya im gonna stick with honours for a while was way too early to be dropping... sound for the advice lads

Advertisement