Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment after sickness

Options
  • 14-11-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks

I am looking for work after a period of ill health with bipolar disorder. I am wondering if I am asked about the gap on my cv could I say "I had a period of ill health but I'm ok now" or would an employer not employ someone who has had a health problem for fear it will return again?

Thanks
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MHickman

I think employers would like to feel that whatever illness you had is no longer an issue. Typically they don't delve too deeply (tell us exactly what you had!!!) but they do like to hear of an illness being past tense, which may or may not be the case with bipolar. If it were me I'd be vague enough about the nature/circumstances of the illness as understanding of bipolar isn't always what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No way would I tell a potential employer that I suffer(ed) from bipolar disorder and especially not if I was absent for a period because of it.

I think it would be the death knell for your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm in the exact same position. Bipolar, returning to work after some time out. I have the fact that I am moving countries to explain my break. You need to get creative. Say you went travelling perhaps?

Nobody will employ you if you say you're bipolar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This post has been deleted.

Saying something like personal issues would also raise doubts in the minds of the potential employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When I was asked about my career gap due to illness I said "I was off due to ill health but it is under control now and I am excited about returning to work". I got the job and it was never mentioned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I had six months break in employment which I explained due to my mam having her hip replaced and my dad having both cancer and a clot on the lung. Both were true, and as an only child I was the only one who could do anything as neither could drive.

Never ever mention an illness that is ongoing. I interviewed two candidates recently for a job that involved meeting and greeting. One CV was miles better than the other and she interviewed well...but at the bit where you ask any questions... She said that she had social anxiety. Whereas I as the hiring manager thought it was OK, hr put their foot down due to having a duty of care. CMO agreed due to nature of role

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

amtc wrote:
    Never ever mention an illness that is ongoing. I interviewed two candidates recently for a job that involved meeting and greeting. One CV was miles better than the other and she interviewed well...but at the bit where you ask any questions... She said that she had social anxiety. Whereas I as the hiring manager thought it was OK, hr put their foot down due to having a duty of care. CMO agreed due to nature of role

I agree, I've actually done this. I told a prospective employer that I had social anxiety and this led to a gap in my employment. Bad idea, didn't get the job. Was thinking honesty is the best policy, sometimes its not unfortunately. Best of luck OP and congrats in feeling ready to get back to it, I know myself how difficult it can be

Advertisement