Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade two pcs

Options
  • 14-11-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of upgrade advice

I have two computers that could do with being upgraded .

PC 1
    MediaPortal TV Server / bedroom pc is -

AMD 5050e dual core @2.66Ghz
    4 GB DDDR 2
    GA-MA780G-UD3H
    AMD HD 7790
    with TV Tuners, hard drives etc.
    Windows 10 (upgraded from win 7 OEM )

PC 2
    Living room HTPC is -

AMD FX 6300
    8GD Corsair DDR3
    GA-970A-UD3
    Gigabyte GTX 960 (2GB ITX version)
    Samsung SSD
    Windows 10 (upgraded from win 7 retail)

I was thinking of putting the CPU,RAM and motherboard from the living room pc into my server and would only have to buy components for one pc :)

It's been a while since I bought components and am a bit lost .

Looking at Overclockers.co.uk there's an Intel i5 -6500 based bundle wih 8GB DDR4 and motherboard for £300 .

Is this a worthy upgrade from the FX 6300 or more of a sidewards move ?
    Any other recommendations ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Is the Intel i5 -6500 a worthy upgrade from an FX6300 or is there something else ?

Is 300 Euros enough of a budget for CPU,ram and motherboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It would be a decent upgrade, but it kinda depends on the workload. If you aren't playing games much off this, then the FX6300, while not amazing, is still viable paired with that 960 (probably medium/high settings on most games at 1080p at a guess), and definitely fine for pushing media around the place.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    It would be a decent upgrade, but it kinda depends on the workload. If you aren't playing games much off this, then the FX6300, while not amazing, is still viable paired with that 960 (probably medium/high settings on most games at 1080p at a guess), and definitely fine for pushing media around the place.

Its for general use .

The htpc in the sitting room is for watching TV and films, listening this music as well as playing games.

For 80-90% of the time is fine but with some games all cores are maxed out , with a little stutter now and then (AC Unity, AC Syndicate, rise of the tomb raider)

I expect that to happen more often with new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You can upgrade to the i5 and see a nice stability in that stutter, plus a few frames, or if you want to try pushing that existing CPU a little harder, they are great overclockers. You'll need a decent cooler to keep the temps in line though :)

Overclocking may not achieve what you want though, so I'd tend towards the bundle.
    One thing to note though! Black Friday/Cyber Monday are here soon. You might be able to pick up some components for a bit cheaper individually on Amazon or overclockers!

Xenoronin wrote: »
    You can upgrade to the i5 and see a nice stability in that stutter, plus a few frames, or if you want to try pushing that existing CPU a little harder, they are great overclockers. You'll need a decent cooler to keep the temps in line though :)

Overclocking may not achieve what you want though, so I'd tend towards the bundle.
    One thing to note though! Black Friday/Cyber Monday are here soon. You might be able to pick up some components for a bit cheaper individually on Amazon or overclockers!

I have a Xigmatek Loki for cooling (case is a Silverstone LC16) but I don't really want to overclock .

By upgrading this pc I can reuse the FX6300 , ram and motherboard for my server . (2 upgrades for the price of 1 :D )

How much better is the i5 for games that the FX6300 ?
    what about encoding (ripping discs using makemkv ) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I upgraded from an FX6100 to an i5-6500 and saw a significant increase in FPS.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101178866

Got the i5, 16GB ram and H110M mobo for €320.

d31b0y wrote: »

Just what I wanted to hear :D

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

d31b0y wrote: »

Im running an FX-6300 and I'll be looking for a similar upgrade but was thinking Id go with the 6600K instead. Where did you buy your parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The FX-8350 is probably a cost effective upgrade - sell FX6300 for €60, pick up 8320/8350 for €120 - small money overall. Not as fast as a Skylake i5 but solid enough and it means you can hold up for Zen and Kabylake instead for a full upgrade, the release of both should drive prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

kevovek wrote: »
    Im running an FX-6300 and I'll be looking for a similar upgrade but was thinking Id go with the 6600K instead. Where did you buy your parts?

Best prices I got in the end were via flubit, even with the added cost of parcel motel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement