Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo's coloum on "paid labels"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not just medical professionals that are the problem. Some parents also go shopping for a diagnosis too. Some genuinely think their little one has a problem - others just refuse to accept that discipline at home is the problem and want something else to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Was chatting to a child psychologist recently and he was saying something similar, that too often when a child acts out or behaves differently the parents want to be able to say their child is "different" or has a "disability". Sadly many parents feel that only a label will explain their child's behaviour and if they don't get it from one source then they will go elsewhere.

There are plenty of children who are displaying traits and awaiting diagnosis but the system is becoming swamped with already strained services coming under even more pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Owryan wrote: »
    There are plenty of children who are displaying traits and awaiting diagnosis but the system is becoming swamped with already strained services coming under even more pressure

This is exactly the problem. These "shopping" fools just make our difficult lives even harder. It's so annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is an agenda behind that article. The NCSE are pushing for a new model of SEN teaching which would end resource hours.As bad as the current system is ,at least it ring-fences time for some categories of SEN. When this new model hits, it's going to be a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

There is an agenda behind that article. The NCSE are pushing for a new model of SEN teaching which would end resource hours.As bad as the current system is ,at least it ring-fences time for some categories of SEN. When this new model hits, it's going to be a free for all.

Maybe that's the case but even just the title was condemningin my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Oh absolutely. Any parent wouldn't undertake paying so much money without cause. If the NCSE has proof of professionals making incorrect diagnoses for financial gain, then that should be taken up with the relevant professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

That was very much my take from that article. My son is on spectrum. so he automatically gets the maximum allowable resource hours. I know of other kids in his class whose parents have told me their children are really struggling with maths and reading but aren't getting any additional help. From what I have read of new plans I worry he will be pitted against others and he might be deemed not 'bad' enough to get additional resources.
    Honestly why can't all the kids who need additional help get it? You end up with kids disengaged from their education and not reaching their potential.

:mad:Because the DES can't see the logic in early intervention if it will cost money . John Lonergan , former governor of Mountjoy gave a talk I attended where he pointed out the cost of supporting children with additional needs in primary vs the cost of providing for adults in prison . He reckoned that at least 80% of inmates at the time were functionally illiterate .

Now considering 10% of children are thought to have dyslexia , surely logic would push for getting in ahead of the difficulty and keeping those children in education where they can be supported.

Now think in terms of more complex needs that require multi- disciplinary interventions. A child who doesn't get speech and language therapy / OT input / help with anxiety or self esteem issues until the problems are at crisis levels- what are parents to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

John Lonergan is a great speaker and really talks a lot of sense. It is such short-sighted thinking. Early intervention saves money long term.

Advertisement