Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult dog suddenly marking inside

Options
  • 13-11-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old male dog has recently started marking inside the house. I have had him since he was 3 months old and up until the last few weeks, I could count on one hand the amount of times he has peed inside since he was trained as a pup. He has always been excellent and will "ask"(scratch my leg and run to the door) to be let out when he needs to go.

We also have a 14 year old dog (who has been here long before him). He only seems to be marking around her things - pretty much always near/on her bed, toys and on the curtains, which happen to be right behind her bed.

I have started confining him to a puppy pen while no one is in the house, but I can't leave him in there 24/7 and it's impossible to watch him all the time, so I have only once actually caught him doing this and brought him straight outside.

It's not that he just really has to go, as he holds on all night as usual. He sleeps upstairs in my room, where the other dog never is.

There has been no changes in routine or anything like that, so not sure what has triggered this. Maybe some kind of power shift between the dogs? :confused:

Any ideas on how to make him stop?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This might sound like a load of tosh but if your older dog has started getting old old your younger dog may be sensing and reacting to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It might be no harm getting a check up for both dogs. If the older dog is carrying some illness that could make her scent different and be causing the problem and as for the younger dog, any marked change in behaviour in a dog would warrant a check up with the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Stheno wrote: »
    This might sound like a load of tosh but if your older dog has started getting old old your younger dog may be sensing and reacting to that?

I was thinking he could maybe sense something we can't. I don't know. She has slowed down considerably over the last year :(
    It might be no harm getting a check up for both dogs. If the older dog is carrying some illness that could make her scent different and be causing the problem and as for the younger dog, any marked change in behaviour in a dog would warrant a check up with the vet.

Should have mentioned, the older dog was at the vets a number of times throughout August as she was vomiting a lot. She had blood tests and an ultrasound which nothing showed up on either.
    Younger dog also had blood tests done in July as he was going under anesthetic when he was getting his teeth cleaned.
    Of course, something could have happened since then, and will have the vet check them over if this continues.

The younger dog has always been obsessed with smelling her/licking her where he definitely shouldn't be. He has always marked areas outside where she was sitting :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Random thing- could she be peeing a little, and he's marking over it?

Older bitches often develop some measure of incontinence, it's incredibly common. Ask your vet though, this is a wild-ass guess from someone with no professional qualifications on this.

Advertisement