Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A laptop for Photo Editing

Options
  • 13-11-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im looking to buy a laptop that will be used predominently for editing photos. It would need to be able to run both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Storage wise i dont mind having to purchase an external harddrive to store work although it would be nice to have some amount of space to play Football Manager.

I have a budget up to €1000 but i could stretch to €1200.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Unless you're working with seriously large RAW files you won't need to spend that much. You should aim for a full HD screen with good colour reproduction, an i5 and 8GB RAM (unless you have serious editing)

Dell would be a good starting point. They used to have decent screens anyway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The screen should definitely be a priority. And I agree that you shouldn't need too much processing power to be able to run both photoshop and lightroom.

As for space, I would go for a system with as large an SSD as possible. I never like relying on external storage devices as I worry about either misplacing them or suffering a failure of some kind. But that would be covered if you had proper online backups set up(which you should have!).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Thanks for your help guys.

I was thinking of going with an Apple due to industry standard.

Does anyone have a particular model they can recommend?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Thanks for your help guys.

I was thinking of going with an Apple due to industry standard.

Does anyone have a particular model they can recommend?

The latest apple Macbook Pro starts at 1749 and does not have an SD card reader and only has two USB-C ports. (Different from your usual USB ports). It does have an impressive screen but I would guess that it is well above budget?

You could look at older models if you can find them, nothing necessarily wrong with the last generation Macbook Pro retina. Just don't go for the old Macbook Pro non-retina. Shocker of a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi,

Ive been looking for a laptop that competes with the Apple specifically for Photoshop and having done some research this one seems to tick a lot of the boxes.
    Good screen, decent processor, 256g ssd memory, 8 RAM, decent gaphics card and competitively priced to the Apple.

Am an absolute novice when it comes to this but what do others think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479324550&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+inspiron+i7559-763blk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi,

Ive been looking for a laptop that competes with the Apple specifically for Photoshop and having done some research this one seems to tick a lot of the boxes.
    Good screen, decent processor, 256g ssd memory, 8 RAM, decent gaphics card and competitively priced to the Apple.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-Keyboard/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479324550&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+inspiron+i7559-763blk

i think nice laptop, but im in the middle of a dispute with Amazon because i bought one last night and seller now has my cash and cancelled the order.

Im now extremely dubious of third party sellers on amazon and waiting on their support to come back to me on where my money is.

Same laptop btw with 16gb hd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Hi,

OP do you live in the UK? Otherwise pay delivery cost.
    but still looks good choice to fit your needs.

listermint wrote: »
    i think nice laptop, but im in the middle of a dispute with Amazon because i bought one last night and seller now has my cash and cancelled the order.

Im now extremely dubious of third party sellers on amazon and waiting on their support to come back to me on where my money is.

Same laptop btw with 16gb hd.

Contact your credit card company. They will charge back, and you wont have to worry about it any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Contact your credit card company. They will charge back, and you wont have to worry about it any longer.

Amazon are to refund ive already spoken with them.

But as i said all very dubious they usually take payment when orders are shipped with Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Avoid the Inspiron, Vostro and Latitude 3xxx series. They're cheap and feel it when compared to the XPS or Precision range.

The Latitude 5xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx i7 machines have heat issues and are only 2 core CPUs, opt for the i5 if going that route.

The XPS range have dual video systems as an option and very nice screens. The Precision range are good work horses and some can take two internal SSD/HDD units and they are sturdy.

The XPS 15 9550/Precision 5510 are well built attractive and powerful. The XPS 13's can sometimes have a high frequency chirping noise caused by the inductors in the power system on the System Board so if you have sensitive hearing - avoid.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

ZENER wrote: »
    Avoid the Inspiron, Vostro and Latitude 3xxx series. They're cheap and feel it when compared to the XPS or Precision range.

The Latitude 5xxx, 6xxx and 7xxx i7 machines have heat issues and are only 2 core CPUs, opt for the i5 if going that route.

The XPS range have dual video systems as an option and very nice screens. The Precision range are good work horses and some can take two internal SSD/HDD units and they are sturdy.

The XPS 15 9550/Precision 5510 are well built attractive and powerful. The XPS 13's can sometimes have a high frequency chirping noise caused by the inductors in the power system on the System Board so if you have sensitive hearing - avoid.

Ken

Thanks Ken!

If i was to go Apple wise via a refurb, have you any recommendations. SSD Drive included?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Hi guys,

Ive been lookig at a couple of laptops for Photoshop.

What do you think of this firstly.

https://www.amazon.com/ZenBook-UX305UA-13-3-Inch-Generation-Titanium/dp/B01BMERZJ6

Although I'm a bit unsure about the power of the processor.

Or this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-250-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Grey/dp/B01NA6MLO0/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1479937694&sr=1-7

The specs seem good although its a 15 inch. What do you think of the screen for photos.

Thanks.

Advertisement