Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video on Demand and Android Box

Options
  • 13-11-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of scrapping live TV totally and going Video on Demand and Catch Up services fully. I have a couple of questions, maybe someone can help.

Netflix: I know this works, have a Samsung Smart TV and the Netflix app is pretty good. Android app is good as well.

Irish TV Catchup: Are there apps for RTE, TV3, 3E that work on Android Box?

UK Catchup: there is a 4od (channel 4) app on my TV and that works. Is there a 4od app for android android box that works (I think I tried this a couple of years ago and it wouldn't work using Ethernet connection)
    BBC/ITV - These are region locked, anyone have much success using DNS services?

DNS Service: have netflix blocked all of these?

Lastly then, I want to get a very good Android Box, I know the Nvidia Shield is the top performer but finding it hard to find them in stock and reasonably priced these days. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You must never have used Android before because if you go to the Google Play Store you'll easily find apps for RTE, TV3, ITV Ireland and Channel 4.

The UK stations don't make their apps available on the Irish Google Play so you'll need to look elsewhere. I get them from an alternative Android app store called Aptoide. I use a VPN with those but I think I'm hovering on the edges of the forum charter by talking about that.

Netflix has blocked VPNs though perhaps some have slipped through the net. I know no more than that because I'm not subscribed to the service any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

You must never have used Android before because if you go to the Google Play Store you'll easily find apps for RTE, TV3, ITV Ireland and Channel 4.

The UK stations don't make their apps available on the Irish Google Play so you'll need to look elsewhere. I get them from an alternative Android app store called Aptoide. I use a VPN with those but I think I'm hovering on the edges of the forum charter by talking about that.

Netflix has blocked VPNs though perhaps some have slipped through the net. I know no more than that because I'm not subscribed to the service any more

Thanks, any experience using Channel 4 app over ethernet? That was the problem I had before.

That I don't know. It's a poor app that seems to have compatibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Any thoughts on Android Boxes?

You'd be better off asking the people in this thread :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012

• Advertisement
Advertisement