Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Bentley R-Type MK VI Time Capsule

  • 13-11-2016 2:04am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭ Standard Toaster


    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-r-type-mk-vi-time-capsule/13900454
    Bentley R-Type MK VI Time Capsule

    Bentley R-Type MK VI Time Capsule Recently discovered gathering dust in the same motor house on a Irish country estate where it has been residing since 1951, this car is an incredible find - a time capsule 1949 Bentley MK VI that displays a highly credible 46,000 miles and is in remarkable condition
    FOR AUCTION WITH NO RESERVE ON JAN 27th 2017
    Full details & 100s photos on www.swva.co.uk



    Came across this earlier.
    What kind of price would one expect this to fetch?

    Reg YIY 499


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man


    Strangely, not a lot! A pristine one would make £60,000 maybe but this one isn't pristine so maybe with all its history it might make £25,000 plus.


    I hope it stays in Ireland


  • Registered Users Posts: 914 okistag


    It may not be pristine but when I carried out the photo and video shoot for the seller and saw how straight and solid it is, I was amazed.

    The engine sounds so sweet and with its history its very unique MKvi.

    I do hope it remains in Ireland also whom ever buys it only restores the paint and chrome as the patina is just magic but that's my take on it others will see it differently.

    Its value will be whatever the highest bid is when the hammer drops it will be interesting to watch it should do well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭ Notch000


    waht does time capsule mean ?? i was expecting this car to be looking like new & its definetly not


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ Type 17


    Notch000 wrote: »
    waht does time capsule mean ?? i was expecting this car to be looking like new & its definetly not

    Originality with patina is also worthy of a time-capsule description.

    I hope it stays in Ireland, but I suspect not. Never mind, it was an import anyway ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 914 okistag


    Notch000 wrote: »
    waht does time capsule mean ?? i was expecting this car to be looking like new & its definetly not

    I guess "Time Wrap" is when something is like new and "Time Capsule" is the way it was when last used.

    Like taking loads of bits and bobs putting them in a container and opening it in 50 years would be time capsule I think.

    Just so much within the car that made it feel like a time capsule.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ pmg007


    The reg YIY is feb. 1976 Co. Louth so perhaps its not in Ireland that long..


  • Registered Users Posts: 914 okistag


    pmg007 wrote: »
    The reg YIY is feb. 1976 Co. Louth so perhaps its not in Ireland that long..

    All paper work shows when it entered Ireland in 1951, it was used on it's UK plates until 1976 here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ Testacalda


    okistag wrote: »
    it was used on it's UK plates until 1976 here.

    That would have been common practice, at the time you could keep the english number and get that number registered on an irish tax book. My grandfater had an old model AA truck that was english reg but taxed in ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 Kevin_Herron


    okistag wrote: »
    It may not be pristine but when I carried out the photo and video shoot for the seller and saw how straight and solid it is, I was amazed.

    The engine sounds so sweet and with its history its very unique MKvi.

    I do hope it remains in Ireland also whom ever buys it only restores the paint and chrome as the patina is just magic but that's my take on it others will see it differently.

    Its value will be whatever the highest bid is when the hammer drops it will be interesting to watch it should do well.
    The Mk6 really is a fantastic car.

    Personally the only cosmetic change I would make would be washing the dust off it!
    Most Bentley owners dislike them in oily rag condition however.

    Hopefully it does come back to Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera


    Testacalda wrote: »
    That would have been common practice, at the time you could keep the english number and get that number registered on an irish tax book. My grandfater had an old model AA truck that was english reg but taxed in ireland.

    Would love to see pics of that old AA truck, if you have any?! :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ Testacalda


    Silvera wrote: »
    Would love to see pics of that old AA truck, if you have any?! :)

    No pics but I have all the old tax discs!, he Had an AA and another V8 Ford for delivering turf


  • Registered Users Posts: 813 Kevin_Herron


    £20400 was the hammer price.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭ carchaeologist


    Not exactly a fortune, any idea where it went?


  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ clogher71


    Anyone know what the RX-7 went for?


  • Registered Users Posts: 914 okistag


    clogher71 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the RX-7 went for?

    €5250


  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ clogher71


    okistag wrote: »
    €5250

    Thanks.

    Not too bad, I thought it might have gone more, it looked nice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 914 okistag


    clogher71 wrote: »
    Thanks.

    Not too bad, I thought it might have gone more, it looked nice.

    that was £ 5250 not €5250 :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ clogher71


    okistag wrote: »
    that was £ 5250 not €5250 :)

    I figured that :-)...would look nice in my garage....some day.......


Advertisement