Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New battery for Dell vostro

Options
  • 12-11-2016 7:12pm
    Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭

It's a dell vostro 1520 that I have, and the battery doesn't last for as long as what used to. Thinking of buying this battery and just want to know if there's anything I should be aware of?

http://www.laptopmarket.ie/Dell-Inspiron-Laptop-Battery-Ireland-15R-N5010-N5110-17R-N7010-N7110

My laptop doesn't give any warning anymore as to when the battery is about to go. It used to give a warning at circa 25 mins and would die before that time was up anyway. At the moment, when it cuts out varies... usually it's about 1 hr 20 mins.

So I hope that if I buy a new battery, it'll (as well as lasting longer) give a warning when it's about to go.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No harm taking a punt at that price. But I wouldn't be expecting too much either.

• Site Banned Posts: 391 ✭✭paralysed

No harm taking a punt at that price. But I wouldn't be expecting too much either.
    Well how bad could it be? or should I say, how much would you expect for the cost of a battery?

paralysed wrote: »
    Well how bad could it be? or should I say, how much would you expect for the cost of a battery?

I've had bad experiences with replacement batteries in the past.
    Apparently batteries degrade from the point of manufacture so if this one has been in storage it may not work so well. also it's not an official dell one but a third party battery.
    it may not work at all or else fail in a few months and may not have the same capacity as the original battery (e.g. this says 6cell but from google the vostro 1520 had a 9 cell battery in the original, unless there were different battery options). but this says that it has a one year warranty so could be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the early vostros had a 6 and 9 cell option.

paralysed one of your cells is probably failing thus the unexpected cut outs. It's an easy repair but the battery casings make them none serviceable.

If you want some semblance of QC buy from the likes on Ankher on Amazon.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 NeverTheLess

glasso wrote: »
    I've had bad experiences with replacement batteries in the past.
    Apparently batteries degrade from the point of manufacture so if this one has been in storage it may not work so well. also it's not an official dell one but a third party battery.
    it may not work at all or else fail in a few months and may not have the same capacity as the original battery (e.g. this says 6cell but from google the vostro 1520 had a 9 cell battery in the original, unless there were different battery options). but this says that it has a one year warranty so could be worth a punt.
    What about this one?

http://www.laptopbatteries.ie/dell-vostro-1520-laptop-battery.html?gclid=CM75zs--mtMCFQaeGwodOOoCFw

It's rather strange, because all of the reviews on this same webpage are referring to a charger! And when I go to different webpage, the same reviews still show up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement