Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIM: One for Wi-Fi hotspot, the other for all other apps?

Options
  • 12-11-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I am the proud new owner of a Motorola G4 Plus 32GB running Android 6.0.1, there seems to be an update available, though it will not update from here as there is no Wi-Fi, therein the reason for this post.

My personal Vodafone SIM that has 4G most of the time, but with a 15GB limit, and I have a work Three SIM, that rarely gets 4G, but I have confirmed with my employer has no limit.

The SIM settings have an option to select which SIM to use for mobile data manually, but what I would really like to do is use my work SIM for when I tether my laptop to my phone using the Wi-Fi hotspot (which is often where I live at the moment), and my personal SIM for all other apps on my phone.

Anyway to achieve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Simultaneously? No. Only one sim can run the radio at once.

If you want to make the configuration easier you could setup tasker (learning curve is a little steep) to:
    Upon entering home area
    - Toggle Sim to Sim2
    - Toggle Hotspot on

And the inverse for leaving.

NFC tags would be the battery saving way to do this, but isnt available to that phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

You know, Tasker rings a bell, this sort of thing is the exact reason I use Android instead of IOS - everything is customisable!

Thanks for the recmmendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to point out some Tasker scripting requires root.

Advertisement