Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your shopping list for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Options
  • 12-11-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Just wondering what tech goodie's are on your radar for Black Friday & Cyber Monday.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say people should watch out for nice discounts on the following:

- Amazon Echo, I'm certain will be discounted, maybe a little off Dot too.
    - Probably good deals on FireTV and FireTV stick too.
    - Always good deals on Logitech Harmony remotes
    - Deals on various Philips Hue bundles, they always pop up on these sales.
    - Maybe some deals on various IP cameras.

Personally I don't have too much more to get.
    - Maybe two Hue GU10's for the hall and the Hue motion detector
    - Maybe try a Hue light strip for the kitchen
    - Might also try out a Belkin smart plug if reduced (be handy for turning on and off the Christmas tree lights, even though I'd prefer if Philips made a Hue compatible one).
    - A Nest protect would be good too.

But don't really need any of them, only if the deals on them are good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say people should watch out for nice discounts on the following:

- Amazon Echo, I'm certain will be discounted, maybe a little off Dot too.
    - Probably good deals on FireTV and FireTV stick too.
    - Always good deals on Logitech Harmony remotes
    - Deals on various Philips Hue bundles, they always pop up on these sales.
    - Maybe some deals on various IP cameras.

Personally I don't have too much more to get.
    - Maybe two Hue GU10's for the hall and the Hue motion detector
    - Maybe try a Hue light strip for the kitchen
    - Might also try out a Belkin smart plug if reduced (be handy for turning on and off the Christmas tree lights, even though I'd prefer if Philips made a Hue compatible one).
    - A Nest protect would be good too.

But don't really need any of them, only if the deals on them are good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree with all I see in the states they have 10 dollars off the dot and some thing of the Echo.

The Fire Tablets too already very good valve.

The stick had money off, but I don't think the TVs did. I don't bother with the sticks I know people love them but I'm a fire TV man I prefer things wired if possible and it's s great job for 4K viewing

All I need now is a 4K TV.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm thinking of a hue entry level job. But like I said it doesn't suit me but I'll get one just so I don't feel left out.

Can't see lightwaverf stuff coming down all since Amazon don't carry it directly and there's no stock anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Harmony remote I'd say, read instructions on how to use it to control colours on a standard led strip last night. Looks simple enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Given the amount of IoT stuff I've got so far this year, my wife will probably take the router with her on black friday :-p
    But would be happy to pick up a few more Hue items and a monitoring camera.. lightwaverf is on my shopping list but don't expect any deals

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Thinking of the Hue myself - what pack would people recommend to get?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Thinking of the Hue myself - what pack would people recommend to get?

Well that depends on what type of light bulbs you are replacing, bulbs or GU10 style spots and if you want white only or colour bulbs.

Whichever one you go for, make sure to get one with a hub/bridge in it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

bk wrote: »
    Well that depends on what type of light bulbs you are replacing, bulbs or GU10 style spots and if you want white only or colour bulbs.

Whichever one you go for, make sure to get one with a hub/bridge in it.

Just standard bulbs - maybe a silly question, but do the Colour ones have white as a colour?

Edit - this kit looks like a good option?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=dp_ob_title_light

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just standard bulbs - maybe a silly question, but do the Colour ones have white as a colour?

Edit - this kit looks like a good option?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=dp_ob_title_light

Yes, the colour bulbs also do perfect whites. I've these colour bulbs in my main bedroom colour GU10 spots in the living room and I have them just do white 95%
    of the time.

I've cheaper white only ones in the less used rooms.

Yes, that is an excellent bundle, I'd also keep an eye on the E27 bundle. While currently very expensive, that is a strong indicator it will be reduced over the next two weeks of the Cyber monday/prime sales. This bundle previously hit £138:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=dp_ob_title_light?th=1

• Advertisement

Yes, that is an excellent bundle, I'd also keep an eye on the E27 bundle. While currently very expensive, that is a strong indicator it will be reduced over the next two weeks of the Cyber monday/prime sales. This bundle previously hit £138:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=dp_ob_title_light?th=1

Is this the same kit, seems like a good price, delivery is 8.70 https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B016H0R0EA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

£150? I'd say you'll be able to get that a lot cheaper in one of the upcoming deals

Got mine for €129 from Amazon.de a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it out yet though :o

It was 150 +the 8.50 euros postage from Germany, just tried to cancel my order. Roll on black Friday. Still ridiculously expensive though. Don't want to be encouraging philips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Phew.

Fortunately or unfortunately Black Friday coincides with pay day and this years bonus.
    1 wired Nest Protect
    1 battery Nest Protect
    2 x Philips Hue GU10 white ambiance
    2 x Philips Hue Richer Colours
    1 x Philips Hue Go
    1 x Philips Hue dimmer
    2 x Motion sensors
    1 Hive active heating
    1 x Sonos Play 3 (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Can you tell me what motion sensors you are referring to Roen?

Can you tell me what motion sensors you are referring to Roen?

These boys here. Hook directly into the Hue bridge and trigger lights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KLWXL5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What they don't tell you is that in addition to the motion sensor and light level sensor they also have a temp sensor that is exposed via the API.

You can pull this out with a bit of dicking about and hey presto you have temp monitoring and graphing. From there you can then automate based on temp levels in parts of the gaff where you have sensors.

jfu3AY9l.png

qSuyd8Ll.png

0kgUCNml.png

Wow, very cool! Nice find Roen

Wow, very cool! Nice find Roen

Cheers, one for the FAQ maybe? I can't claim credit on finding it I have to admit. Was a bit of a pain to get it out of the bridge, so I'll pat myself on the back over that though :)

Roen wrote: »
    Cheers, one for the FAQ maybe? I can't claim credit on finding it I have to admit. Was a bit of a pain to get it out of the bridge, so I'll pat myself on the back over that though :)

Yup, definitely.

I'm keeping a note of updates for the FAQ's and once I've a few changes, I'll pass them along to the mods for updating.

How's everyone's credit card.

Got the elite harmony on the UK amazon deal. 2 X b22 and the 2016 GU10 Starter pack on Amazon Spain.
    Picked up a Charles Vacum as new for 98 on Amazon warehouse U.K, now if I could only automate Charles I'd be laughing.

Yet to get 3 x Hue flush ceiling lights and 2 more GU10 colours. 2 nest protects.

• Advertisement

How's everyone's credit card.

Got the elite harmony on the UK amazon deal. 2 X b22 and the 2016 GU10 Starter pack on Amazon Spain.
    Picked up a Charles Vacum as new for 98 on Amazon warehouse U.K, now if I could only automate Charles I'd be laughing.

Yet to get 3 x Hue flush ceiling lights and 2 more GU10 colours. 2 nest protects.

Not good I have to admit.

In no particular order...

DreamscreenTV
    2 x Nest Protect smoke/CO alarms
    Hive active heating
    2 x Philips Hue Lightstrips+
    2 x Philips Hue Colour
    3 x Philips Hue Lightstrip extensions
    1 x Philips Hue Go
    2 x Philips Hue motion sensors
    1 x Philips Hue dimmer switch
    1 x Samsung Smartthings starter kit
    1 x Amazon Echo
    1 x Amazon Echo Dot

And some baby wipes and other bits for the steam cleaner :)

2* Google home
    3*Philips hue BC colour
    1*netulmo ?? Stat
    1* echo dot
    2* fire stick
    4* lightwaverf twin sockets
    1*philips go

The Philips air fryer and Bosch mini drill too.

So interestingly non of the items on my wish list came up (Nest Protect, Hue GU10 whites, Hue motion detector), but that is fine, I'm not in a rush for these and I'll keep an eye on them if they go down in future. They are nice to haves, certainly not most haves.

However I did pick up:
    - Logi Circle (IP Camera)
    - 2 X Hue Colour Bulbs
    - UE Boom 2 (hooked up to Echo Dot)
    - 5 x Amazon Dash Buttons

Also Sennheiser HD 598 C headphones, Moto G4 Plus (gift) and some small toys for the little one.

Partly this reflects, the fact that I had already bought a bunch of HA gear over the last 6 months and I already have most things, including Hue in all the main rooms, a Netatmo thermostat and Harmony Elite remote. So while some fantastic deals came up for all of these products, which I would have happily jumped at if I didn't already have them, I've sadly already have them sorted!

Advertisement