Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming Build - €500

Options
  • 12-11-2016 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Firstly, I will say I am not a heavy gamer. I have been contemplating buying a new console and realised, given my laptop is giving up on me I might as well build a desktop that covers my needs for both moderate gaming and college work (includes the usual such as assignments in Word/Excel/Latex along with mild programming in MATLab).

1. What is your budget? €500, could stretch as far as €600 but would prefer to remain under €550

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Not a heavy gamer, just play GTA V, CS:GO but would like to also get Battlefield 1. As said, college work would need to be done too.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of peripherals? Keyboard + Mouse.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Eventually, but would prefer not to at start

8. How can you pay? Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing? End of January (quite far away yes I know, but I need to get savings in order etc.)

I can build PCs and have done so a lot in the past so I won't need help on that front.

I've watched various YT videos on PC builds etc and I have this one and it's not great so I need advice on where I could making savings and all that.

Processor: AMD FX6350 6x 3.90Ghz - €113.
    Memory: 8GB Crucial - €44.
    Graphics Card: AMD A10 Series 7850k - €93
    HDD: 1GB Seagate - €47. (SSD should be added but I'm trying to save money)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Seroes 88R - €45
    PSU: 500W XFX - €43.
    Motherboard: ASRock A68M-ITX AMD - €55
    WLAN: TP-Link - €13
    DVD-RW: LC - €23
    Keyboard & Mouse: €24

All of this is off of mindfactory, as you can see the total comes to around €600, nearly out of my budget. What can I do to cut down?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Switch the CPU for an i3 6100, change GPU to a 460/1050 and change the motherboard to a h150m board.

Leave Windows activation until you can afford it, only a little watermark for inactivated Windows, it's not priority

Make sure RAM is DDR4.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Switch the CPU for an i3 6100, change GPU to a 460/1050 and change the motherboard to a h150m board.

Leave Windows activation until you can afford it, only a little watermark for inactivated Windows, it's not priority

Make sure RAM is DDR4.

Thanks a million, I was pretty sure I was going to have to just leave windows until I had the money for it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, though I'd definitely go for the GTX1050 over the RX460.

In your original list you've actually chosen two processors and no graphics card :)

Just to note, Battlefield 1 is incredibly CPU grueling online, the i3-6100 will work fine, but you won't be able to hold 60fps in the bigger more chaotic maps. If you can stretch to the 600, it is absolutely worth using that extra cash to go for an i5-6400.

I would say the DVD-RW could be dropped, unless you actually watch DVDs or similar on your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In your original list you've actually chosen two processors and no graphics card :)

Just to note, Battlefield 1 is incredibly CPU grueling online, the i3-6100 will work fine, but you won't be able to hold 60fps in the bigger more chaotic maps. If you can stretch to the 600, it is absolutely worth using that extra cash to go for an i5-6400.

I would say the DVD-RW could be dropped, unless you actually watch DVDs or similar on your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Bolded is error on my part, had a list already and just messed them up, sorry!

I'll stick with the i3 for now, if I'm being honest. Yeah I'll probably drop the DVD-RW, if I really needed one I could pick one up and I'd be fine.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Re Battlefield 1, runs fine on a i5 4670k not overclocked. My 60hz monitor lets it down though.

Advertisement