Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory for a gaming laptop

Options
  • 11-11-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Folks, I'm buying an Alienware 15 R3 laptop and Dell is charging an extra €150 for upgrade from 8GB of memory to 16GB of memory. I checked out Shop4memory and they're charging €60 for 8GB of memory. Will the 8GB of 8GB G.Skill 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory Module (CL16) 1.20V PC4-19200 Ripjaws DDR4 Series work with the Alienware laptop?
    Thanks for you help, Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I wouldnt be running to AW with my money, unless you like burning it in your spare time too.

If you buy an 8GB laptop it might be 2x4 so upgrading means buying two 8GB at €120 so not a huge saving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Crucial.com sell 8GB sticks for €52 ish each. Worth making sure of what speed RAM your laptop will come with. So perhaps not a huge saving once you add postage. But it's still a saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You guys are forgetting that if he buys the ram elsewhere for a good chunk cheaper, he also has the ram that comes with the machine to sell on. So the overall saving is pretty significant.

You guys are forgetting that if he buys the ram elsewhere for a good chunk cheaper, he also has the ram that comes with the machine to sell on. So the overall saving is pretty significant.

Not if you want to keep your ability to avail of warranty support. If you're gonna buy AW you may as well have that safety net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Surely AW don't invalidate warranty for a simple ram upgrade? Most manufacturers are fine with that assuming the laptop doesn't require total disassembly for the upgrade (which unfortunately some laptops do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 declantm

I decided to chance it and buy the laptop with only one stick of 8GB ram and add the extra 8Gb myself. There aren't any warranty labels on the back of the laptop so I assume it's safe for me to upgrade the ram myself.
    Thanks for your help :)

Surely AW don't invalidate warranty for a simple ram upgrade? Most manufacturers are fine with that assuming the laptop doesn't require total disassembly for the upgrade (which unfortunately some laptops do)

Usually swapping it doesnt invalidate it, but if you want to RMA for any stability issues they'd want the original installed. QVL for laptop ram is usually 1 entry long.

Advertisement