Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec for new work Laptop, large database work

Options
  • 11-11-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just starting a new project in work that will involve putting together a large database (well large for me :) ) we are talking about 400k+ items but each item could have up to 30/40 pieces of info and possibly photos attached as well. Anyway I want to give my ICT lads a min spec for a laptop that will be able to handle this at ease. I am not am ICT man myself (but I know a small bit) but I am assuming that a database of this size would be on a server but there will be an element of the work that will be exporting to Excel to do analysis.

I don't want to sell my self short "better of looking at it then looking for it" is my mantra (especially when some one else is paying)

i7 cpu (don't know what number)
    16Gb ram
    500 SSD

Am I missing something

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm no DBA but if its not millions of rows its not huge.

You need to know what you're actually going to be doing. Assuming its hosted on a its own server and not carried with you then the DBMS does the grunt work and you're just sending instructions and caching results. Its possible that you could do it on a bottom basket pentium.

On the other hand if its a local instance itll take a bit more. Whoevers providing it should be able to detail it for you.

Advertisement