Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got no discipline

Options
  • 11-11-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Thanks for reading. This is a minor issue compared to some of the things being posted here, but I can't seem to change it on my own. As the title says: I've got no discipline and I feel like I'm going nowhere in life right now. I spend my time working, commuting, cooking/cleaning and listening to music, that's it. :(

To try and improve things I picked up a course a couple of months ago, studying at home, hoping it would spur me into action. It didn't and I'm very much behind in my study.. I made a schedule to get back on track but don't/can't stick to it as I go and do other things instead, mainly putting my earphones in and listen to music.
    I play an instrument that I haven't touched in months, I feel like I lost all passion for it, even though I do feel happy when I'm playing it and then wonder why I don't do it more often, only to neglect it again for months on end. I don't do it nearly enough and it bothers me but again, I don't know how to change it.
    I don't really have friends or family to draw support from, so I know I have to do it by myself. How can I become more disciplined and spend my time in a more productive manner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Would you be willing to find some others to play music with?

I can understand the lack of motivation. Its really difficult to stick with something on your own.
    Same with the course. Its great that you're doing it but it can be hard to study alone.
    If you want to keep up with the course start small. Dont look further ahead than a week at a time. Put in as much effort as you can. Draw up a plan if poss. And see that you are very capable.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

You should try to find others to play music with like the above poster said. and organise a weekly meetup. The social pressure will make you stick with it. You can find people on boards, gumtree or meetup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm the very same OP. I don't really have any passions or hobbies, and every time I start or join something trying to develop some interests, I lose interest within about a month and end up fading out of whatever it is I joined. I suffer from a dreadful lack of motivation in all parts of my life, and nothing I try (to change this) works. I think I'm destined to just drift through life, alone with no focus. I'd be interested to hear if anybody else was the same and managed to turn this around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Its a bit unclear about your employment status? Are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Its a bit unclear about your employment status? Are you working?
    I do, yes. Some people mentioned making music with someone else: I already do this, but it doesn't seem to make much difference :(. I feel like I'm just coasting through life atm, when I could be doing so much more, but just don't because I can't find the motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Do a course in something that interests you???

Like a music lessons etc?

Advertisement