Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Top Nut

Options
  • 11-11-2016 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have any of you changed your top nut and made a hash of it?

I have a few guitars that I'd like to change to a bone nut and thought about doing it myself, I'm handy enough generally, but I'm thinking I'll get a luthier of repute to do it, in case I mess it up.

But I have heard some bad tales of "luthiers" as well who have made a mess of guitars, and I'm thinking better in my hands than theirs?

Give it a go or get a luthier?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Changing a nut is not just as simple as tapping out the old one and installing the new one. You will either have to cut the slots for the strings, or if you're using something like a Graphtech, you may have to shim it to bring it up to the correct level for your frets.

If this is something that you're even slightly unsure about, go to a luthier. I recommend Gerry Haze in Dublin. Not sure about anyone in the northwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Indeed thanks Feylya, sound advice and yes I'm more than slightly unsure. My other concern is that it ends up in the hands of a bluffer. (I have a few that need work).

I'll ask around for some solid recommendations. Reliable luthiers seem to be thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While he is not in the north west, this guy gets a lot of praise on Facebook. My own experience with him was for minor maintenance work ( new input jack etc), but I was happy with his work.

https://www.facebook.com/MichalLangnerGuitarService/

Gerry Haze is excellent. So much so, that he is booked out for months ahead. If you are in no hurry...fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

You can get 2 blanks for a fiver on ebay. Having a go will not cause any damage to the instrument if you cock it up.

You don't need fancy tools beyond a hacksaw and some sandpaper.

Easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Before and after, the nut was far too high for me personally, I'm not sure about how it looks now, although it plays a lot better, any suggestions?

IMG_1186_zps0etszksq.jpg

IMG_1212_zpst9cqjhy1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

feels good, plays well.

looks the same to anyone looking from the back of the RDS arena.

whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

Any recommendation for a luthier in Cork?

Advertisement