Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor recommendation

Options
  • 11-11-2016 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi just recently built a decent gaming rig so now need a monitor to match what my 1070 can throw at it.

Have 600euro max (excluding delivery)to spend. Would love widescreen but the max width can only be32 inches otherwise it will start blocking my tv.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell-s2716dg-27-2560x1440-tn-g-sync-144hz-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

Something like this would be your best bet at that budget. Might some deals which bring more monitors into your budget range on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id go with the Dell, those Acer and Asus yokes are a total lottery also that Acer isn't actually an IPS despite being advertised as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Actually bought the Dell the other day :)

hadnt upgraded my monitor in a good few years (1280x1024) was its max so looking forward to some hi-res gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am looking at that Dell as well. Is there any downside to it being TN and not IPS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dcully wrote: »
    Id go with the Dell, those Acer and Asus yokes are a total lottery also that Acer isn't actually an IPS despite being advertised as one.

Why what does be wrong with them? I was looking at that predator one myself.

The quality control doesn't seem to be great with Acer. Having said that, things might have improved (quality improves on most technologies over time). For the specific one linked, it is the TN version which has worse viewing angles, and worse colour reproduction. Acer seems to suffix an "A" onto any model which is a TN panel. i.e. XB270HA, XB271HUA, XB240HA, etc. In TN's favour, the response time is lower than IPS, and it doesn't suffer from "IPS Glow", a lighter colour in parts of the panel when viewed at certain angles. Mostly only noticeable on a black screen with higher than necessary brightness settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Let us know how you get on with the Dell.

Can a 1070 power 144hz at 1440p? I've been reading around and some commentators don't seem to think so.

I'm also in the market for a new 27" monitor and don't know if I should stick to the usual 60hz or push it out with g-sync and 144hz and so on. I also have a 1070.

Having a 1070 and a 144hz, 1440p monitor, i can say that it most definitely powers the monitor just fine, and will do for a good many years :)

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I'm also in the market for a new 27" monitor and don't know if I should stick to the usual 60hz or push it out with g-sync and 144hz and so on. I also have a 1070.

If you wanted to go that route BenQ have 27" 144hz 1440 non gsync screens that would be a good but cheaper id imagine.

• Advertisement

Hmmm - I think I have given up on my 144hz dream for now. Even if I ended up spending €500+, there were plenty of compromises to make at both 1080p (TN only) and 1440p (IPS panel lottery).

I'm now leaning towards 1440p @ 60hz with a 25" Dell U2515H which seems like a quality product for the money. I think I will wait another couple of years until this tech is more common and affordable.

Still - would love to hear the impressions on the Dell G-Sync monitors by the users who have opted for them. It seems to be the best option out there but still too much money for me to justify myself.

Put it this way, I have a 1440 IPS 60hz sitting beside my 1080 144hz Gsync TN and the 144hz Gsync sits right infront of me as my main gaming monitor,for gamign there is no comparison.
    After experiencing 144hz and gsync you will never go back to 60hz again, the gulf between the two is literally huge,1440 and IPS cant even sway it towards the 60hz for me.

Now if you can afford IPS+1440+144hz+Gsync and a pc to maintain 144fps that would be gaming perfection right there.

I'm sure it's magnificent. I think affording it is one thing, but justifying it to myself is another. I'd love to jump on that Dell but I do think I will wait a while to make the technological leap in a few years instead.

Enjoy your setup - sounds lush.

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I'm sure it's magnificent. I think affording it is one thing, but justifying it to myself is another. I'd love to jump on that Dell but I do think I will wait a while to make the technological leap in a few years instead.

Enjoy your setup - sounds lush.

Not lush at all man, I wish I had these two monitors rolled into one :)
    Also my rig would more than likely struggle to hit a constant 144fps @1440 wuth full graphics settings on a lot of new games, still running a 970gtx and i5 2500k,great for 1080 though.

Enjoy your purchase.

Advertisement