Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever a good idea to resign...

Options
  • 10-11-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

...When you don't have another job lined up?

Started a new job just over 4 months ago. I absolutely hate it. I had applied in early 2015 for a general role, then they got in touch with me this year about joining to work on an exciting new project. I moved from another city to come here, where I know no one, and am now filled with resentment as that project has stalled and is going nowhere fast. They have put me on another project, also boring and slow, and now just recently yet another one. I have no interest in any of it as it's all so far away from what I was told the job is. These other projects bear no resemblance to the one they hired me for.

I just don't know why they hired me. Why would you let someone move cities and leave a good company for no reason. I dread going in every day as I'm bored to tears, quite literally. I have had a couple of heart-to-hearts with my team leader who is really approachable and invested in the team's development, but he is really the only person in the company I really click with. It's all so chaotic and disorganised here.

In addition, my heart just isn't in making a life in this new place. I dread coming in to work every day and regularly go outside to cry. :( This is really affecting my attitude outside work. I live in a really nice house share which is good, but I want to move home to my family in Dublin (in UK atm) and save.

I know I'm not going to be here long, it's just a case of do I quit now, or wait til I have a job lined up in Dublin The notice period is 3 months (which I also really resent as I was lied to about the reasons for this) so hopefully I could have a job sorted by then.

If not, I'm sorely tempted to go to South America for 2 months or so early in the new year- I have the savings to do so. And worry about everything else later...

I'm 29 btw. Just really down and confused right now, would appreciate some advice. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Shelga wrote: »
    I know I'm not going to be here long, it's just a case of do I quit now, or wait til I have a job lined up in Dublin The notice period is 3 months (which I also really resent as I was lied to about the reasons for this) so hopefully I could have a job sorted by then. )

Tbh I would ignore this and just quit. Give them two weeks notice - even though its in your contract there is nothing they can really do to stop you leaving. Its having a huge impact on you personally and thats what you need to be worried about.

It sounds like you are covered financially which is a huge bonus. I would be making plans to get out of there sooner rather than later, put the whole episode behind you and chalk it down to experience - its up to you whether you want to come home and job search or head off travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

Lifes too short. Id quit and do something more interesting. Have stuck at a role like this before in a dead end town in uk so I can sympathise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

What is more important, your happiness or the companies project?

You have one life. Make it a happy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Just quit.

Job wasn't what they said it was. Quit and move on. It won't even register on your CV after the next role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think the 3-month period would not be legally binding if the role has changed so much that it no longer matches the job description. If you have a bit of a cushion I'd quit, the job market in Dublin is strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Get out of there - a job that makes you cry is not something to even consider staying in. Leave now, never mind about the notice period - your mental health and wellbeing is far more important than their poxy contract.

And when you're leaving, tell them exactly why.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would agree with those telling you to quit, life is too short to be that miserable. I left a job I hated about two years ago. My notice period was two months and I served it out. I haven't done too well since then (only got an eight month contract which finished up twelve months ago) but I don't regret leaving for a second.
    The only warning I would give you is that when you go interviewing for another job and they see on your CV that you left a job without having another one lined up (or else ask you directly) be prepared for some smart remark or outright hostility. I was asked by an ignoramus interviewer "what did you do for money?". I was caught off guard and didn't have an answer ready but in hindsight I should have told him that is none of his business.
    In another interview with two people one of them said to me "Please explain to me because I can't understand it, why you would leave a job without having one to go to?Please make me understand" (the other person didn't seem to give a s###e to be fair to him).
    I answered her dismissively because at that stage I had decided I didn't want the job as the way it was described to me was not what it said in the advert. The stupid thing is that they rang me later in the week with what I think was a job offer (or at least a second interview).
    So just be prepared and have a good answer ready. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If it's making you miserable - quit. The job market at home is strong as another poster said, and you have the buffer of family if it does take a little while to get settled. If you stay there, unmotivated and unhappy, it could well become a performance management issue if it affects your work - which can be pretty upsetting for someone who in other circumstances is committed and conscientious.

Today is my last day of notice at my soon-to-be former job - and I don't have another job to go to! I agonised over the decision to resign, taking heed of the usual advice to not leave unless you have something to go to. Then I realised my wellbeing is the most important thing so I'm out the gap in less than two hours and I have no regrets....other than ever taking this job in the first place.

Make a good decision for you and know that whatever it is, you'll be ok. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ttfn wrote:
    Today is my last day of notice at my soon-to-be former job - and I don't have another job to go to! I agonised over the decision to resign, taking heed of the usual advice to not leave unless you have something to go to. Then I realised my wellbeing is the most important thing so I'm out the gap in less than two hours and I have no regrets....other than ever taking this job in the first place.

I'm in the same boat. Its the first time in 25 years that I decided to leave without having another job lined up. Apart from being prepared, the simple observation is that as I've changed may jobs, its not like I can't get another and I don't live just to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I spent two and a half years in a job I loathed every minute of until I finally cracked and handed in my notice, with nothing else lined up, slap bang in the middle of the recession. My only regret about the whole thing is that I didn't do it far sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Agree with pps. Leave it. Take from it any lessons you have learned, and move on.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I spent two and a half years in a job I loathed every minute of until I finally cracked and handed in my notice, with nothing else lined up, slap bang in the middle of the recession. My only regret about the whole thing is that I didn't do it far sooner.

fair play to you, that takes balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Well, it can make things harder for you but it is doable. You've got a great reason in your back pocket for wanting to leave - you're abroad and wanted to come home. I can't imagine it's too easy to look for jobs and attend interviews in Dublin when you're living in the UK anyway. So yeah, resign and see if you can come to some sort of amicable notice period with your employers. Or just leave anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 c0deblu2th

Just leave. You probably went for the work experience to build up your cv also. Your employer hasn't fulfilled his end of the bargain so I would not feel any loyalty to them.

Register with the agencies in your field and say you wanted a break and decided to travel a bit which is not really lying.

Be prepared to be more realistic and flexible in your expectations for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Resign. You can always say in interviews that you returned to Dublin for personal or family reasons. Life's too short to be miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You started this job 4 months ago. You've given it a decent shot. You've spoken to your TL to try to resolve the issue. You have done everything right.

I would echo what others are saying and hand in your notice.
    If they try to enforce the 3 months notice I'd tell them for health reasons you cannot do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Time to move on op, life is too short. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Notice periods can often be negotiated.

When a member of my own team has wanted to leave so desperately then I have always supported working as short a notice period as possible. It's neither in the teams nor the projects interest to have someone who has lost motivation to such an extent to be still involved with the working environment. I think that if you explain your situation that there may be a good chance that you can leave much sooner.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Thanks everyone. I got upset AGAIN this weekend after discussing it with a friend- am now decided that I'm sitting my team leader down tomorrow, telling him everything again, and that I'm not coming back after Christmas. He's a nice guy and I'm sure we can agree on a shorter notice period.

I was going to stay til the end of January to build up more cash, but it's not worth another 4 weeks of utter misery and loneliness. God I would be in a foul mood on the plane back on the 3rd of January!

Life never has to be this way. Booking flights to South America for January. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I was feeling very much like yourself OP and decided I couldn't handle the job anymore over a weekend. I called in sick on the Monday and got a doctors letter for stress which it was because it's certainly not normal to be crying in the mornings going out the door to work. I then let my manager know that I wouldn't be back which they were ok with.

Loads of jobs in Dublin at the moment. You shouldn't have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Shelga wrote: »
    Life never has to be this way. Booking flights to South America for January. :D

Delighted for you OP - well done and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

OP I'm so heartened to see the outcome. I'm in a job that I can't stand- coming up on 6 months now. I'm lining up interviews as much as possible and have signed up with numerous agencies. There does seem to be a busu market right now.
    Part of me would happily walk out, only then I'd have to wait 7 weeks for the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think if a job is so bad and stressful that you'd rather endure relative poverty for a period (eg dole or no income), then that really says you should not be in that job. One other option is to actively job hunt for another position while you are in the process of resigning.

I left a job due to the stress and have no regrets about it. Yes, I was sad that it had to come to a stage in my job that I was so stressed out about it to consider leaving but I also felt a feeling of empowerment that I made a decision in my best interests and for my physical and mental well being. When you lie on your death bed many decades into the future, I guarantee you that you will not be saying or thinking that you should have stayed longer in that awful toxic job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Fair fuks to u op, funny enough I want to pacnin my job and was planning on doing a trip to SA but a course came up instead, as soon as I finish it il be off somewhere, hoping to pack in NY job after Christmas hopefully something will come up......wishing u all the best for the furture and anyone else in the same position

OP I'm so heartened to see the outcome. I'm in a job that I can't stand- coming up on 6 months now. I'm lining up interviews as much as possible and have signed up with numerous agencies. There does seem to be a busu market right now.
    Part of me would happily walk out, only then I'd have to wait 7 weeks for the dole.

We had a new staff member recently who didn't like the job, and the job didn't like her. She clearly didn't want to miss out on social welfare so she just took the proverbial. Sat browsing the Internet and making/taking personal calls in work. Week long sickies. 2 hour lunches. Did absolutely no work. Was actively rude to people. In the end, they terminated her employment, so she got the social. Clever girl. Balls of steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Lol I don't think I could do that- apart from anything else, it wouldn't be fair on my team. They're fairly sound, so I'd hate to put them in that position.
    Had an interview for a job a lot more suited today. so fingers crossed!

Lol I don't think I could do that- apart from anything else, it wouldn't be fair on my team. They're fairly sound, so I'd hate to put them in that position.
    Had an interview for a job a lot more suited today. so fingers crossed!

I couldn't do it myself either!

Best of luck for the one you went for today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Quit - you will get all your energy and ambition back when you leave a soul sucking job like that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

We had a new staff member recently who didn't like the job, and the job didn't like her. She clearly didn't want to miss out on social welfare so she just took the proverbial. Sat browsing the Internet and making/taking personal calls in work. Week long sickies. 2 hour lunches. Did absolutely no work. Was actively rude to people. In the end, they terminated her employment, so she got the social. Clever girl. Balls of steel.

R E S P E C T!

• Advertisement
Advertisement