Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat crying to come in but won't

Options
  • 10-11-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our cat is around 8 years old.

She is out/indoor cat. She sleeps inside at night and goes out during day/evening

To get in or out she Crys at door or we open door and she goes out .

In mornings or afternoon when she comes to window or door she crys to come in and we open door and she comes straight in.

Sometimes we need to call her and she appears a few moments later and in she comes

In the last few months the evening times are different. She comes to the window or door crys to come in and then runs off . I'd understand if she wanted to stay out at night and we had to call her to come back etc but she is the one who crys at the window or door to come in only for us to open door and off she goes only to come back 30 seconds later crying to come in .

It literally feels like she is f***ing with us even though I know she is a cat.

Any suggestions why a cat would do this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Oh, the wonder of cats.... no idea why your kitty is doing this but can tell you about my Loki cat and a similar situation

She comes to the window, cries to be let in, refuses to come in, waits for me to come outside, meows at me until I pick her up and carry her in to the house - this had been going on for the past few months and I decided it was madness and I wasn't going to carry her ladyship inside every evening.

So I opened the window, left it open (despite the cold!) and she eventually decided she would come in via the window, only to be pounced on immediately by the Willow cat! Reluctance explained & is now completely refusing to make her own way into the house :rolleyes: I now get to spend the next 15+ years going outside to carry a cat into the house whenever she calls me, because she is clearly in charge.

Is there any chance something is spooking her when she comes into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Shivi111 wrote: »
    Oh, the wonder of cats.... no idea why your kitty is doing this but can tell you about my Loki cat and a similar situation

She comes to the window, cries to be let in, refuses to come in, waits for me to come outside, meows at me until I pick her up and carry her in to the house - this had been going on for the past few months and I decided it was madness and I wasn't going to carry her ladyship inside every evening.

So I opened the window, left it open (despite the cold!) and she eventually decided she would come in via the window, only to be pounced on immediately by the Willow cat! Reluctance explained & is now completely refusing to make her own way into the house :rolleyes: I now get to spend the next 15+ years going outside to carry a cat into the house whenever she calls me, because she is clearly in charge.

Is there any chance something is spooking her when she comes into the house?

Funnily after about 5 times opening door calling her yesterday, I opened door , (like u ignoring the cold blowing in) went away and 5 minutes later she strolls in looking to be rubbed and all affectionate. So much for heating the house :)

The thing is when she does come in the evenings she is so content , up on your lap, up by the fire.

In general she is a very vocal cat .she will moew louding on entering a room. She is a very needy cat at times. She still sucks on a blanket and needs a lot. Her mother died young I'm to to believe and from what I've read that explains the sucking on blankets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

She still sucks on a blanket and needs a lot. Her mother died young I'm to to believe and from what I've read that explains the sucking on blankets

I may cry that's so upsetting and adorable

cats are very spiritual animals and in many cultures they are revered and worshipped. They have been liked to good luck, charm and death.

It's very obvious to me, and I'm always a cynic believe me, your house has become host to a hundarian demon!

C'mon admit it, I had you going though didn't I!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Same thing happens with one of mine sometimes. He'll jump up on the windowsill and start meowing to get in, then he just sits there when I open the window. I have to go outside and pick him up.

I think cats make good trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

She is so loud though , I'm sure the neighbours are thinking let the poor cat in she has been at crying to get in for the last hour :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Ham , Ham fixes all these problems some much so , That now I merely have to open the fridge and she will appear from three house down . , It doesn't however help when I go to fridge for wine or beer to have the cat scare the crap out of me because she has appear out off no where behind me looking for Ham.

All jokes a side , Cats just get set in their ways and that's pretty much it .smart enough to know they will annoy you till you bend to their will. Ours is 10years old and still pissing me off with that , sitting at the door looking for me to open the door but she doesn't want to go she just wants it left open so she can go out when she pleases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

She is so loud though , I'm sure the neighbours are thinking let the poor cat in she has been at crying to get in for the last hour :):)

Why not install a cat door? That way she has the freedom to come and go as she pleases and you don't need to carry her inside or leave the door wide open

Advertisement