Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat drooling

Options
  • 10-11-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Willow cat started to drool a lot yesterday, shes fine, eating as usual, running around, normal litter tray behavior but lots and lots of drool. I can't see any sign of any injury to her mouth or teeth.

If its still going on when I get home from work I'm planning to run her to the vet as its so unusual... anyone every had a drooling kitty and have any ideas what might be up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

My cat Boris drools fairly regularly - he's always done it though and have mentioned it to the vet who didnt take an notice. In his case it seems to be a happy thing. He does it when he's sitting on the couch with us, maybe after he's had some treats or a wet food sachet (which is also a treat as he normally has on anti-hairball dry food.) We call it his "Boris Happy Head", where he sits on his blanket on the couch, padding away, eyes closed, purring and drooling. Its delightful :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My cat Pud does it when she's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Sweet! though I am not sure how I feel about puddles of drool all over the house :)

We've had some scary health issues with Willow in the past (shes only just over a year old but has some digestive issues that were very serious previously) so I get nervous every time she looks at me funny!!

Seems odd to me as she has never done this before so I will check in with vet, but reassuring to know some cats just drool sometimes! My other two would be much to dignified for such behaviour :)

Lol, i know, at first we were like....."what the .....???" but you just get used to it. Its maybe 2/3 drops of drool total (each time) which is why we have a blanket/throw to protect the couch from him when he sits up with us in the evenings.

You're probably right to get it checked if you're worried to put your mind at rest, and also anything that just suddenly starts is always a concern. We don't worry with Boris because he's always done it but I can understand why its bothering you since its a new behavior.

Lol, i know, at first we were like....."what the .....???" but you just get used to it. Its maybe 2/3 drops of drool total (each time) which is why we have a blanket/throw to protect the couch from him when he sits up with us in the evenings.

You're probably right to get it checked if you're worried to put your mind at rest, and also anything that just suddenly starts is always a concern. We don't worry with Boris because he's always done it but I can understand why its bothering you since its a new behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Drooling can be a fear thing. One of ours used to drool a lot when he was scared. Fact this is new for your kitty, I would take to the vet so it can be checked out. And if it is new, and it's a lot - I would think it needs investigating. Animals tend to just get on with stuff, they're not able to have a moan about anything for example. Perhaps kitty has something caught in mouth? Has she eaten something toxic? No lillies in the house? I would defo get it checked.

Good luck, I hope all is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

drooling can be a sign of a relaxed/content cat - but it can also be a sign of something wrong - without being alarmist, any new behaviour in an animal is worth seeing a vet -

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-drooling
    http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/mouth/c_ct_ptyalism
    http://www.petful.com/pet-health/dont-ignore-drooling-cat/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Drooling in a cat that normally doesn't drool nearly always points to some problem in the mouth, an infected gum or a tooth abscess. Let the vet check her, it could be something as simple as something wedged between her teeth that she can't dislodge.
    Hope she's ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

had this issue a while back with our bag of anger tom turned out he had cut his upper gum with a sharp edge on his nuts ( food ) before ye ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Bring the cat to the vet, OP: my neighbour's cat started drooling and when they brought him to the vet, it turned out that he'd broken his lower jaw.

Apparently this is a common enough injury with cats - they jump down from a height, and the bottom jaw, which is nearly as light as fish bones, cracks.

Probably ok and some other cause, but I'd get it checked just in case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement