Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi workzone table saw

Options
  • 10-11-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

hi has anyone any experience of using one of these 2000w saws? i don't need it for any precision work. i just want a saw to cut without stalling or the belt slipping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kilk wrote: »
    hi has anyone any experience of using one of these 2000w saws? i don't need it for any precision work. i just want a saw to cut without stalling or the belt slipping.

I got one in 2009. It broke in 2011. Needed a new motor. They're basically rebranded einhell and parts are really expensive.

They're not massively precise for small stuff and the table isn't big enough for cutting big sheets.

A circular saw with a track might be a better option depending on what you plan on using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I got one in 2009. It broke in 2011. Needed a new motor. They're basically rebranded einhell and parts are really expensive.

They're not massively precise for small stuff and the table isn't big enough for cutting big sheets.

A circular saw with a track might be a better option depending on what you plan on using it for.

Thanks for your advice colm_mcm, I basically want it to cut joists and smaller lengths etc for firewood.

How did you fare out on the 3 year warranty?

I'm not great at keeping receipts :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I had a look at these as I was thinking of getting something cheap I didn't need to worry about being stolen but two things put me off. A neighbor had one and burnt the motor out, got a replacement under the three year warranty but gave up with it when he burnt the replacement out and the fact I found the what seemed a very similar saw for a lot less money from another supplier. In the end spent a lot more money :o

For the work the OP wants I use a cheap Lidl chop saw (under €50 iirc €40). Its the one without the slide mechanism for wider planks. I have it 18 months and it does most of my firewood and I burn a lot of construction timber. The last one I had lasted about 4 years doing the same work. What I have may be a bit small for joists, they would probably need cutting in two goes max width of cut in one go is just over 5 inches.

• Advertisement

Me neither! And I have noticed the paper they use sometimes fades really fast unless you have them stored in a dark dry place:confused:

Having said that I think I will try it out, I can return it within 60 days and get a full refund if I'm not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Me neither! And I have noticed the paper they use sometimes fades really fast unless you have them stored in a dark dry place:confused:

Having said that I think I will try it out, I can return it within 60 days and get a full refund if I'm not happy.

Take a picture of the receipt with your mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Create Colmsreceipts at Gmail.com. mail a pic of every receipt to yourself, especially the cheaper tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

How did you fare out on the 3 year warranty?

Buyer beware with any equipment like this. One of the things that people forget is that for any type of table mounted equipment - saw, router, lathe etc. is that stability is important. You need a bit of weight and quality build. Ditto for fences and guides.

As regards Aldi and Lidl returns, I'd love to hear how others get on with them. When they first opened up here, you could bring stuff back to the shop with receipt and get a refund/ exchange. Last time I tried it, I had to send an item off to some UK address at my own expense. Which expense was nearly more than the original cost. I'm inclined these days to regard their stuff as 'disposable'.

To be fair it's very stable and has extensions on the legs that stop it tipping away from you.

• Advertisement

Buyer beware with any equipment like this. One of the things that people forget is that for any type of table mounted equipment - saw, router, lathe etc. is that stability is important. You need a bit of weight and quality build. Ditto for fences and guides.

As regards Aldi and Lidl returns, I'd love to hear how others get on with them. When they first opened up here, you could bring stuff back to the shop with receipt and get a refund/ exchange. Last time I tried it, I had to send an item off to some UK address at my own expense. Which expense was nearly more than the original cost. I'm inclined these days to regard their stuff as 'disposable'.

I bought a cheap electrical (3 year guarantee) item from lidl a couple of years ago, which after some light use about a year later, broke down. I brought it back to the place of purchase (with receipt) and was given a number to ring. Upon ringing the number and speaking to a very nice lady with a distinct accent, who was somewhere in Germany I think, she informed me I needed to ring a different dept and gave me the number which I promptly rang. The person who answered this second number sounded extremely like the first person and if I was a betting person, I would be very inclined to think it was the same lady! Anyhow she informed me I would have to post the item to their premises in Germany and they would take from there. I decided not to pursue this option due to the cost of sending the item abroad. Anything I buy now with a guarantee from them I usually put it to the test within the 2 months return/refund window!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goldie03uk

B & Q are selling one similar at the moment for the same price ....

What brand is the one in b&q

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goldie03uk

Scheppach 2000 W 250 mm Table Saw
    I'm thinking of getting this one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for your advice colm_mcm, I basically want it to cut joists and smaller lengths etc for firewood.

Well then a chop saw might be a better buy.
    Small table saws, unless well held are very dangerous. Chop saw, less so and more suitable for what you have said

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mashed13

As regards Aldi and Lidl returns, I'd love to hear how others get on with them. When they first opened up here, you could bring stuff back to the shop with receipt and get a refund/ exchange. Last time I tried it, I had to send an item off to some UK address at my own expense. Which expense was nearly more than the original cost.

This is off thread but I already had problems with them in regards of all the returns with the warranty, you have a full right to tell them that under consumer protection act you will only deal with the store as it is them you have the contract with not somebody in uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

Still on the subject of table saws. Many years ago, I bought a Pro branded table saw ( was in B&Q, if I remember right..but could have been elsewhere too.) Has been a great saw for what I need, but today the drive belt snapped, and I would like to replace it. Has anyone any experience of this make of saw, and where to get parts? Another poster on here was talking about Aldi / Lidl table saws, and thinks that they are a copy of Einhell saws. So maybe I am lucky and an Einhell belt will fit my saw? Anyone have any ideas? The ID plate on it says that it was made by Performance Power Tools, 1 Hampshire Corporate Park, Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Hants
    Thanks for any help.

Thats a B&Q own brand.

Thats a B&Q own brand.

Hi Colm, I managed to track it down, it's an Einhell. I even got the part Nr for the belt part Nr, and supplier. So hopefully will fit the belt and all will be good. They supply a lot of brands as well as B&Q. I have had it for years, and never let me down. It got stuck in a bit of wood yeaterday, and before I could switch it off, it burned the belt.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just to help anyone else out there looking for replacements belts for branded and no-brand tools. I needed to source a belt for an old (Scheppach) lathe last year and the original OEM branded spare part from any of the online suppliers was very expensive. I used this crowd in the UK (Aldershot) who supplied a top quality replacement (which had to be cut down in width by them) and was very competitive- in fact I ordered two identical belts and got them delivered for almost half the cost of one branded belt from others. Might be useful to someone else:

www.marksman-ind.com

• Advertisement

Just to help anyone else out there looking for replacements belts for branded and no-brand tools. I needed to source a belt for an old (Scheppach) lathe last year and the original OEM branded spare part from any of the online suppliers was very expensive. I used this crowd in the UK (Aldershot) who supplied a top quality replacement (which had to be cut down in width by them) and was very competitive- in fact I ordered two identical belts and got them delivered for almost half the cost of one branded belt from others. Might be useful to someone else:

www.marksman-ind.com
    Thanks Jack, that's a very usefull site, for sure !!! I have sent them an email, and I'm pretty sure that they can provide the belt I need
    Thanks again.

Advertisement