Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic conversion

Options
  • 10-11-2016 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

looking into the prospect of getting the attic converted, anyone have any recommendations of anyone providing the service economically? already just got a quote for monumental amount of cash! RIDICULOUS! even a handyman that could do must of it or the like, obviously get in plumber to move tank, plumber to put a rad in etc ..... any suggestions/ideas welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,

looking into the prospect of getting the attic converted, anyone have any recommendations of anyone providing the service economically? already just got a quote for monumental amount of cash! RIDICULOUS! even a handyman that could do must of it or the like, obviously get in plumber to move tank, plumber to put a rad in etc ..... any suggestions/ideas welcomed :)

Generally speaking the ceiling timbers are not suitable to use as a floor for an attic conversion.
    In that case flooring timbers would need to be fitted, which is not an easy or cheap job.

Of course it depends on the intended use ..... just a 'head's up' that the cheaper option might not suit your intended use. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

There could be planning implications as it is an extension of floor space. In addition, if it is a two-storey house, it will have fire implications. Tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gotsmoke

You should try easy build construction ask for Paul Green 083 3081998 great workmanship and reasonable prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

How much are you talking about for a standard attic conversion? I would have thought about 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

reni10 wrote: »
    How much are you talking about for a standard attic conversion? I would have thought about 10k?

That is impossible to answer. What are you converting from and to: What do you propose to use it for? What shape is the attic? How much headroom will you have? What kind of roof structure is it? Will you have to install suitable floor beams? How will you access it, will it be an issue with fire exit? How many stud walls will have to be built? Doors? Roof lights/windows? Reroute electric cables, put in wiring, move water tank etc. Insulation.

This is just a few questions off the top of my head. The main point is, what do you intend to use it for?

If you are just creating attic storage then most of this is irrelevant; if you are going to use it for living purposes then you need proper advice and a competent builder. You should consider home insurance and planning permission. You might not be adding to the value of your home, you could be creating a liability.

Edit: I have just seen your mention of a rad, so you are presumably talking about living space. No, you will not get a proper job done for €10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

I got my attic converted initially by a builder who didn't have much experience. The result was an ok price but attic was so cold it wasn't usable in the winter - unless heating was on full blast constantly and even then wasn't comfortable.

Got it redone a few years ago with proper levels of insulation etc. and the difference is amazing. Lovely and warm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Just bumping this up again to see if anyone else has any other recommendations on an Attic Conversion?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

reni10 wrote: »
    Just bumping this up again to see if anyone else has any other recommendations on an Attic Conversion?
    murphy larkin in tramore do them

Advertisement