Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOO OLD TO START PLAYING RUGBY?

Options
  • 10-11-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

HI FOLKS, I AM 31 Y/O,5'8 IN HEIGHT,11 AND A BIT STONE, NEVER PLAYED RUGBY BEFORE IN FACT NEVER PLAYED MUCH SPORT BEFORE APART FROM SOME RUNNING AND GOLF.MY BROTHER HAS SIGNED ME UP FOR A 7'S RUGBY TOURNAMENT TAKING PLACE IN APRIL. FROM WHAT HE SAYS ITS BASICALLY JUST A PISS UP BUT I DONT WANT TO MAKE A SHOW OF MYSELF AND LET THE TEAM DOWN.ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD DO TO GET FIT/READY AND LEARN SOME RUGBY SKILLS BETWEEN NOW AND THEN....??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

prob watch some sevens.

learn to tackle

learn to throw and catch a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No it isn't too late.
    I assume its the Kinsale 7s if you are talking about April??

If so there is loads of teams competing and there is many social teams just there for the craic. Talk to your team mates and train prior to it and you'll be fine. There wont be much structure so if you can catch and pass the ball and tackle any bit you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No it isn't too late.
    I assume its the Kinsale 7s if you are talking about April??

If so there is loads of teams competing and there is many social teams just there for the craic. Talk to your team mates and train prior to it and you'll be fine. There wont be much structure so if you can catch and pass the ball and tackle any bit you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

u2fanatic wrote: »
    HI FOLKS, I AM 31 Y/O,5'8 IN HEIGHT,11 AND A BIT STONE, NEVER PLAYED RUGBY BEFORE IN FACT NEVER PLAYED MUCH SPORT BEFORE APART FROM SOME RUNNING AND GOLF.MY BROTHER HAS SIGNED ME UP FOR A 7'S RUGBY TOURNAMENT TAKING PLACE IN APRIL. FROM WHAT HE SAYS ITS BASICALLY JUST A PISS UP BUT I DONT WANT TO MAKE A SHOW OF MYSELF AND LET THE TEAM DOWN.ANY IDEAS WHAT I SHOULD DO TO GET FIT/READY AND LEARN SOME RUGBY SKILLS BETWEEN NOW AND THEN....??

7's is usually quite quick, but since there is less heavy contact (mauls and rucks) the fitness required is slightly different. Bootcamp or circuit training might help, anything with burst and short recovery involved for the fitness. Winter tag leagues might be an idea, though not really the same sport, they'd definitely help with the passing part. There are good youtube videos on tackle technique (This is vital). Same goes for passing, watch the videos, get a ball and just practice passing it to a mark on a wall. Although spin passing comes natural to most players, it was something most learned as kids and might take you a while to get right. Best of luck anyway and remember it's supposed to be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭u2fanatic

stephen_n wrote: »
    7's is usually quite quick, but since there is less heavy contact (mauls and rucks) the fitness required is slightly different. Bootcamp or circuit training might help, anything with burst and short recovery involved for the fitness. Winter tag leagues might be an idea, though not really the same sport, they'd definitely help with the passing part. There are good youtube videos on tackle technique (This is vital). Same goes for passing, watch the videos, get a ball and just practice passing it to a mark on a wall. Although spin passing comes natural to most players, it was something most learned as kids and might take you a while to get right. Best of luck anyway and remember it's supposed to be fun :)

thanks for that, I might actually look into getting involved in some tag leagues.. I'm sure there is a few beginner friendly ones out there:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement