Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming computer build advice

Options
  • 10-11-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I'm very new to the build scene, I haven't built a pc before but I intend on learning. I'm a 2nd year software developer and looking at building a powerful enough rig that won't lag/crash while compiling etc.

I have a budget of about €1000 +/-100.

I'm thinking of a dual monitor display, monitors must be high enough resolution and easy on the eyes for a long duration of time. Probably bigger than 20".

I'm not 100% sure on the specs that I would need but I'm thinking (open to advice, hence why I'm posting):

Cpu: i7 6700.

Ram: 8gb, preferably 16gb if feesable.

Storage: at least 500gb of SSD, preferably ~1TB.

Graphics: Not 100% sure what I need, I'll be using it to stream videos/movies, etc. so something that isn't too weak.

Network cards: whatever handles 300mbps lan/wireless.

Anything after this I'm unsure about and open to suggestion builds. If anyone thinks any of the above is overkill (or insufficient), let me know! That's why I'm here.

Would preferably like to get all the parts from Ireland as I'm afraid of hidden or expensive shipping costs.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd say you don't actually need a graphics card if you aren't doing any gaming. The internal graphics from intel are well capable of handling video + multiple displays.
    Keep an eye out for Black Friday SSD sales. They are usually great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You won't need an i7 either, I do plenty of compiling on an i5 and it's pretty immediate

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭DKILLER12

I wouldn't mind a small graphics card as I do do some video and picture editing, nothing major though.

Could you lads recommend a build? I'm pretty in the dark with regards to compatibility and which motherboards, cooling systems, psu's to use.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (€182.53 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€57.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€90.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: *Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€125.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: *Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€100.68 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €663.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 15:57 CET+0100

I'm no good with the part picker site.
    Monitor
    Case

With two monitors, price should be up on about 1000.

If you want a GPU, then an AMD RX 460 or GTX 1050 are about €130.

There's no buying value in Ireland, germany or England. Shipping from mindfactory is 30 flat, not sure on amazon with the two monitors and case, probably up on 40

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (€182.53 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€57.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€90.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: *Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€125.89 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: *Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (€100.68 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €663.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-10 15:57 CET+0100

I'm no good with the part picker site.
    Monitor
    Case

With two monitors, price should be up on about 1000.

If you want a GPU, then an AMD RX 460 or GTX 1050 are about €130.

There's no buying value in Ireland, germany or England. Shipping from mindfactory is 30 flat, not sure on amazon with the two monitors and case, probably up on 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This SSD comes recommended from AnandTech: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IAGSD68?th=1
    Cheap too, even though it uses a better technology (3D NAND) than other budget options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

An extra 30 euro would get you a 6600k on mindfactory, could be good for a bit of future proofing.

Will have a look at that SSD and yeah I'm big on future proofing, I don't want to have to be updating it every so often.

6600k is €50 more, then €50 more for a Z series board, then €30 more for a cooler, so the 6600k leaves you €130 up over the 6400.

Not worth it for me, plenty of power for years of software development in a 6400.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a second year most of your stuff will be single threaded so even a reasonably clocked i3 will do fine.

Future proofing is a misconception. By 4th year you could be doing something with CUDA and care about a big fck off GPU or you could be working on large data sets and benefit from 16 threads/8c. Or you could be doing like most and still working away on a 6200u in a macbook pro without issue.

Get a reasonable base now, and if you need more later your institution can probably give you access to some serious grunt.

(Posted from a 32t/16c workstation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

6600k is €50 more, then €50 more for a Z series board, then €30 more for a cooler, so the 6600k leaves you €130 up over the 6400.

Not worth it for me, plenty of power for years of software development in a 6400.

yeah, i misread, was the non k for 30 more.

ED E wrote: »
    As a second year most of your stuff will be single threaded so even a reasonably clocked i3 will do fine.

Future proofing is a misconception. By 4th year you could be doing something with CUDA and care about a big fck off GPU or you could be working on large data sets and benefit from 16 threads/8c. Or you could be doing like most and still working away on a 6200u in a macbook pro without issue.

Get a reasonable base now, and if you need more later your institution can probably give you access to some serious grunt.

(Posted from a 32t/16c workstation)

Absolutely this, I'm expecting Kiki to tighten up a few parts on what I've posted but it's as solid a base as you can get, i5 will do programming for a good while, if you need more power or a beefy GPU in 3-4 years the PSU leaves room for a modern card

What are the general opinions on AMD FX cpu's compared to intel cpu's? Is there any advantages that the octa core cpu's offer over intels quads? Especially for the price, getting ~4ghz for under half of the price?

Single core performance is significantly worse, not all gHz are equal, a first gen i7 might be quad core 3.2gHz, it'll do everything significantly slower than an i5 6500, also quad core 3.2gHZ.

I don't know enough about the workloads to know if one is better than the other, but generally i5s can't be beaten on the AMD side

Single core performance is significantly worse, not all gHz are equal, a first gen i7 might be quad core 3.2gHz, it'll do everything significantly slower than an i5 6500, also quad core 3.2gHZ.

I don't know enough about the workloads to know if one is better than the other, but generally i5s can't be beaten on the AMD side

Fair enough, I'll have a look at the parts that you listed for me and see what I can come up with, thanks for the help!

Advertisement